SUB OUTPUT

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
enigmasuite

SUB OUTPUT

Post by enigmasuite »

Hi Everyone!!

I have to do this with my Hammond Sound.

It's possible with this configuration??

HAMMOND SOUND---->SUB OUTPUT---->OVERDRIVE---->AUDIO INPUT---->MAIN OUTPUT

stevel

Re: SUB OUTPUT

Post by stevel »

Why do you have to do this? Oh yeah, because the overdrive in the FA sucks!

But seriously, why don't you just try it and see!!

There's no reason it shouldn't work (except usually pedal inputs are on their right!)

Assign the part the organ is on to go out the sub output - that'll go through the pedal and then come back in the input - and the input is by default set to just merge in with all the other parts and go back out the stereo outputs.

You might have some level mismatches but you should be able to compensate with the switch and knob on the back as well as the drive pedal's controls.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Enigma,

Please let us know how this works. I would love to use a Leslie sim in this manner!

Regards,
Joe
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Yes, this works. I am using this configuration with a Neo Ventilator. Sounds great.

Tom
stevel

Post by stevel »

And actually, this could be awesome because you could use a multi-FX unit to add effects to sounds assigned only to the Sub Out on a per Studio Set basis!

This gets around the pesky problem of turning MFX on and off for certain sounds.

If it were MIDI capable, you could also either change its patches and parameters with the FA, or use the pedals to select studio sets and so on.

So it's like an FX Loop and Pedal Controller but the FX gets assigned only to those sounds you want it to in a given Studio Set!!!!
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

For me this could be a game changer: allowing me to use the FA organs with a Vent!

Tom Kitel, how is your volume control?

Regards,
Joe
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

Yes you can send a sound through the subout and on to an effects processor and back in to the audio in and then on to main out. I do it all the time through an eventide H9. And wow does it sound awsome.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Interesting Question and also interesting answers! But with the devices, you show on your picture, I would go directly from the effect-out into the mixer *smile*

Candy
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Candy,
This would be cleaner for sure, but does the Sub Out respond to volume? I heard on another forum that it does not.
Regards,
Joe
tomkitel

Post by tomkitel »

Joe P wrote:Candy,
This would be cleaner for sure, but does the Sub Out respond to volume? I heard on another forum that it does not.
Regards,
Joe
The Sub Out itself does not respond to volume. But you can and you should apply an expression pedal to the organ sound (which you should do anyway for proper organ playing!). And it still makes sense to go directly from the effektboard to a mixer. Nevertheless FA06 Audio Input would also do if no mixer is available.

Best,
Tom
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Tom,

Gotcha - thanks. No argument here about expression.

My confusion came from a post on Keyboard Corner from EscapeRocks where he said the Sub Out isn't affected by the volume knob, although he went on to say he uses expression:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... or_the_Win

It's good to know, although I'm not sure how I could use it since my MiniVent Leslie speed switch is currently screwed to my Electro!

Of course, I suppose you could use it for an effects loop on anything.

Regards,
Joe