Need help with FA 06 glitch

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Superchops70

Need help with FA 06 glitch

Post by Superchops70 »

So I am at the end of a three hour rock band job with my FA 06, and I encounter a strange glitch that I cannot get rid of. In seemingly random spots, about a fourth or fifth apart up and down the keyboard, there will be pairs of notes sounding the same pitch. In other words, when you press F it sounds like you're playing F and F sharp simultaneously and when you play F sharp it sounds exactly the same as if you're playing F and F sharp simultaneously. These paired notes happen in about 10 different spots up and down the keyboard. It does it on all sounds, factory sounds, user sounds, split and layered sounds, everything. Turning keyboard off and on did not solve. Help! I need to get this figured out before next gig in a few days. Thanks in advance!
Tonewheel

Re: Need help with FA 06 glitch

Post by Tonewheel »

Hi, Although I did not have a problem with fouth or fifths, I did have it with every note!

I had a similar problem with Layered sets, one tone would be sharp or flat the other concert? I found that it was, in my case the Pitch bend? I had to switch off the Pitch bend in the Part view.

You can reproduce this by setting up, in Dual or Multi, 2 tones. Move the Pitch bend slightly and hold, then in Part View 'MIDI Rx Filter' switch off the Pitch Pend, releasing the Pitch Bend one tone would be sharp the other concert?

You would not do this live, but I found that if you switch sets whilst moving the Pitch bend it would sometimes reproduce. If one set has the Pitch bend switched on and the set that you are switching to does not it can happen. This happen whilst I was playing live? I think, IMHO it could be a software bug.

I know this is not the exact problem you have but it might point you in a direction to look at.....
stevel

Post by stevel »

1. I hope you saved all the sounds you created.
2. Do a factory reset.
3. If that does not fix the problem, return it.

It also *might* be something you've done. But it's hard to diagnose and does sound like a glitch the way you describe it.

There is a "detune" CC value and I used that one and actually got 2nds like you describe on ever note - 1 part was the detuned one and the other was a normal part playing with it together.

Odd thing was, I couldn't reproduce it.

MIDI messages like Pitch Bend (even though it's a separate category) work like this: You're telling something to do something, and it's going to keep doing that until you tell it not to!

So if you've done something like moved a pitch bend wheel, then changed a patch, as far as the previous sound is concerned, you never told it to stop being pitch bent!

Now this would happen on every single note - but I suppose it's possible make if you had an arp playing that was only a pattern of 4th/5ths and that was pitch shifted in some way, that only those notes could be affected.

For that, you'll just have to keep working with it to see what conditions exist to cause the issue.

But if you haven't created a boatload of use sounds or studio sets that would be too hard to re-setup, I'd factory reset it first at least.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

If it is still a problem on a pure single piano preset and after a factory reset, it must be a hardware issue. Your local dealer should send it to a service station.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Did you set the correct scale-tune? (part view - scale tune-tab)

Candy