Compressor Settings

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Neil ForestTree

Compressor Settings

Post by Neil ForestTree »

I'd like some of your thoughts please on using the Master Comp on complex studio sets when playing live in a band.

I understand what all the M Comp controls do and the general theory but most discussion on compressors relate to use on one instrument at a time. Also, I don't understand where to start with making different settings for Low, Mid, and High band.

How does anyone else approach setting up the M.Comp?
stevel

Re: Compressor Settings

Post by stevel »

I don't use it.

3 band compressors like this - a "master compressor" are usually used in the mastering chain in mastering recordings.

While their use could be appropriate in a live band setting, it may not really be necessary.

If you were in a band pro enough where this would be a major concern, I'd hope it was being taken care of at the console.

I would only use compression for two general reasons:

1. If a particular sound had some horrible transient spikes that are just peaking too loud, or maybe a dynamic difference in a sound that you just can't even out by playing and really need to even it out for some reason - i.e. a "protective" and "corrective" measure.

2, As an artistic choice to make a sound sound very much like an over-compressed "pumping" sound - like a lot of clean guitar parts are (and might help to make a synth guitar sound that much more realistic (or over-processed realistic).

I'd rather balance my patches out in the SS, and keep the dynamics on Piano and Electric piano type sounds.

But if you need a "leveller", I could see using it as sometimes punchy instruments with more dynamic range can seem perceptibly louder or quieter than other more sustainy same-level sounds.

It's more work than I'm willing to put in for most of the typical band gigs I get. I balance the sounds, and do any other balancing aurally, or the soundperson takes care of it. So sorry, not much more help there.
Neil ForestTree

Re: Compressor Settings

Post by Neil ForestTree »

Thanks Steve - I've never used compression before either. But I suspect that sometimes my keys may occasionally cause the peaking light to come on at the desk which causes the engineer to turn me down. Then once I've finished that Sax run or whatever it was that peaked I will get left at that lower level so that now my organ or string chords are lost in the mix. Having a narrower dynamic range may help me maintain a bit more presence against the other instruments. Just a thought really.

Regarding the three frequency bands. I've noticed the global compressor knob changes about four settings in each band but all three bands remain the same as each other. So I guess that's the default.