Van Halen's Jump sound

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
andytunstall

Van Halen's Jump sound

Post by andytunstall »

Anyone know what is the best voice for the above on an FA-06?

Is there a standard preset or has anyone got one they could share?

Many thanks

AT
stevel

Re: Van Halen's Jump sound

Post by stevel »

1. Try This:

http://www.jp-80.com/fa/fa.html

2. And this:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/ ... eim-obx-a/

3. Or:

SCROLL THROUGH ALL THE SOUNDS LIKE THE REST OF US :-)

Sorry, I haven't tried to find one for Jump yet. Let me know if you get one ;-)

I would recommend downloading and installing Synth Legends Pure for more options, as well as EXP 02 the Ultimate Keys collection.

Neither specifically have the Jump sound, but some are as close as any of the internal sounds. I think you're pretty much going to have to tweak anything. So find something close and work with the Attack and Release times, and then maybe thicken it up by detuning, or using octaves, or putting two Parts together.

He apparently ran it through a Marshall so that probably added something to the sound so even if you found the perfect OB style patch, it may still need some extra fairy dust.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that. I've found the FA really doesn't do "iconic" sounds very well. It's looking ahead, rather than looking back. But a few, like my first link above, are creating sounds for it.

Good Luck,
Steve
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

There is a preset for Jump, i believe it's in one of the EXP expansions from the Axial site - If no-one else knows where it is i'll check tonight if i remember, i've definitely seen it scrolling through.
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

PCM synth tone #643 Don't Jump and GM2 Tone 136 Jump Brass will get you close.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

That's the one i saw 'Don't Jump', also there's a studio set entitled "Hop! Step! xxxx!" that's a much fuller layered Jump preset.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

I think Jump may have been in one of the earlier Studio Sets I had posted up. I just looked / listened to what I have. I layered 0625 Soaring Horns and 0267 Brass Attack. Can't recall if I downloaded those from Axial or where they originally came from.. That Studio Set slathered a generous amount of Delay and Chorus and Room 2 Reverb on those tones. Anyway, in re-listening to it just now... it's passable - but probably not the best. In any case, there are a lot of great brass sounds you can grab.. but imo - it was the right amount of delay / chorus-reverb that makes Jump a passable live patch. G'luck
stevel

Post by stevel »

Gatorjohn wrote:PCM synth tone #643 Don't Jump and GM2 Tone 136 Jump Brass will get you close.
Ooh, these aren't bad. I've been through them before and remember them now, but neither of them still were "perfect" - but yeah they're really good starting points - the GM one especially.

I made one on my old D-5 that sounded pretty dead on but even that took a lot of tweaking. These are much closer.

FWIW, I often would try to find sounds that could do double duty for me so I didn't have to switch so many patches live - I used the Jump sound for the intro to Separate Ways as well IIRC (from the old keyboard).

Maybe we should start a list of presets that are close or good starting points for classic synth songs.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Jdoo wrote:I think Jump may have been in one of the earlier Studio Sets I had posted up. I just looked / listened to what I have. I layered 0625 Soaring Horns and 0267 Brass Attack. ....
around 9:30 in this vid, is my shot at Jump with these settings. Apologies for the crap vid/ sonics. Was recorded with an iPhone, in a rush.. last Summer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDdhYPs8_CY
skiinian85

Post by skiinian85 »

Yeah, "Don't Jump" gets you close and pretty much good enough. I just end up using my RD700nx for jump and separate ways, it has both sounds and they are EXACTLY those sounds, indistinguishable from the record. Wish the FA had those sounds...
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Can be easily created with 3 Saw oscillators slight detuned and stereo delay (ping pong).