Roland FA-08 and Cubase 9.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Kimbo

Roland FA-08 and Cubase 9.

Post by Kimbo »

Hi there.

Since this weekend im to owner of a FA-08.

Now i want to use it in Cubase 9.
So that Cubase 9 become the sequencer of the FA-08.
What are the best settings to do this?

When i do this some key's (sound) are freezing when im playing.
Anyone can help me?

Regards Kimbo, The Netherlands.
dimapet

Re: Roland FA-08 and Cubase 9.

Post by dimapet »

Very detailed about this (and not only) is written here (for which the author thank you so much!):
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... s-daw.html

Unfortunately, Roland does not provide any software editor for FA-06 (08). Unlike competitors (Krome, MoXF). This is one of the most significant shortcomings, in my opinion. Nevertheless, the entire spectrum of the MIDI workstation is supported, and if necessary, you can recall the past century and play around setting and assigning MIDI controllers. :)
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Ok thanks for your quick answer.
Im sad to here that there is not VSTi plugin for the FA-08/06.
I gonna try this out tonight.

Regards Kimbo.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Kimbo,

Even though the FA has "DAW Control Mode", I wouldn't use it this way.

Instead, get a "Patch Script" for Cubase for the FA if you don't already have one, so you can select your FA sounds from Cubase's Inspector.

Then just either record audio live into Cubase from the FA, or record MIDI tracks into Cubase that get played back by the FA's sounds.

Cubase has such great features for automation I don't see the need to use the FA as a controller for the few functions it has in DAW mode.

Just use it as a 16-Part multi-timbral synthesizer (a sound source). Do all the "sound sculpting" within Cubase itself.

As for the stuck notes - check to make sure you have the latest firmware and software drivers for your system.

I assume you're just connecting it with USB since you didn't mention any interface?
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Thanks for your answer stevel,

I get it to work right now.
But to get it work do i need to make a studio set or a song in the FA to load a song in Cubase after i was working on a song in Cubase?

And can the FA sent audio to the USB cable for the 16 track in Cubase or just only the master sound?

Kind regards, Kimbo
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

stevel wrote:
I assume you're just connecting it with USB since you didn't mention any interface?
Yes i connect with USB to my Desktop and the sounds is going tru my NI komplete audio 6 interface.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Kimbo wrote:Thanks for your answer stevel,

I get it to work right now.
But to get it work do i need to make a studio set or a song in the FA to load a song in Cubase after i was working on a song in Cubase?

And can the FA sent audio to the USB cable for the 16 track in Cubase or just only the master sound?

Kind regards, Kimbo
The way I do it is use a blank Studio Set (I have my FA set so it starts on Studio Set 128).

This one just has Piano on parts 1-9, Drums on 10, Piano on parts 11-15, and the pads on part 16.

If you do this, then in Cubase, using the Patch Script, you can select the sounds in Cubase you want the FA to play and it will "load" each patch into that Studio Set.

Those settings will get saved with Cubase, so the next time you open up the file and press play, it will send over all the patches to the FA and it will select the correct sounds again.

You could, if you wanted to, also store that studio set and use a patch change message in cubase to select the appropriate SS for each file, but I don't really see any advantage to doing it that way, unless you need to recall the studio set for live playback or something.

You can definitely set up an Audio track in Cubase to get sound from the FA as well.

So you can record a sound from the FA live on to an audio track, or, you could record a MIDI track into Cubase which then triggers a sound on the FA, which you could then record as audio again!

The reason you might want to do it the 2nd way is with MIDI tracks, it's easier to make a lot of adjustments before you "commit" it to audio.

The way I usually work is, I record everything as MIDI tracks first, then go back and use the MIDI I recorded to play the sounds in the FA, which then come back into Cubase (I don't use it anymore but have LE still here) and record them as audio.

I can do them track by track to further adjust the audio (add effects, etc.) or do full or partial mixdowns ("stems") this way.
Kimbo

Post by Kimbo »

Thanks again for all the information Stevel.

So i must download the Patch Script from here: viewtopic.php?t=49811&p=284344 in order to choose the patch from the FA in Cubase?

And when i choose a patch in Cubase then in the FA studio set mode that patch on that midi channel changed to?
That will be nice.