Controlling Studio Set Effects from DAW

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
corvax

Controlling Studio Set Effects from DAW

Post by corvax »

Hi Everyone,
I have another silly question here. Trying to find how to control the send levels of Studio set effects (Reverb and Chorus) for an FA instrument track in Cubase. The Cubase's standard mixer has only the channel volume and pan controls. these don't appear to be in Automation tracks either (maybe I can't see them).
For example Cakewalk's mixer has two additional controls and I can set the amount of reverb and chorus for each channel same as I would do it in the FA's internal mixer. I am trying to find how I do this in the Cubase.
Thanks in advance!
Skijumptoes

Re: Controlling Studio Set Effects from DAW

Post by Skijumptoes »

You just automate (As you normally would) the Midi CC messages:-
CC91 = Reverb
CC93 = Chorus

But you're right, some DAW's support the standard Midi CC's for external instruments much better than others, Logic Pro for example, includes Volume, Pan, Chorus, Reverb, Filter Cutoff & Resonance/Frequency in the mixer view which is really handy for controlling all 16 parts on the FA.

Outside of that, you just use good old fashioned automation, unless there's something in cubase to add virtual controls for them like in Logic, i've not used it for a while though i'm afraid, so not much help on that front! :(
corvax

Post by corvax »

Skijumptoes wrote:You just automate (As you normally would) the Midi CC messages:-
CC91 = Reverb
CC93 = Chorus

But you're right, some DAW's support the standard Midi CC's for external instruments much better than others, Logic Pro for example, includes Volume, Pan, Chorus, Reverb, Filter Cutoff & Resonance/Frequency in the mixer view which is really handy for controlling all 16 parts on the FA.

Outside of that, you just use good old fashioned automation, unless there's something in cubase to add virtual controls for them like in Logic, i've not used it for a while though i'm afraid, so not much help on that front! :(
Thank you! Didn't realize that these are CCs. So I put them now into the Quick Controls section for the track and it worked. CC91 is reverb, but CC93 didn't want to be a chorus. Will experiment more. Thanks again!
Attachments
controls.jpg
controls.jpg (17.63 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh that quick controls is handy, nice.

And yes, you can get a list of the CC messages on the FA if you go to [MENU] > [SYSTEM] > [Knob].

Press enter on one of the assignable knobs and a list pops up with all the CC's, you can press exit button to cancel so you don't make any changes.

...You can also get to that screen by holding shift and turning one of the Assign 1-6 knobs on the sound modify panel too, As a side note: i usually have Assign 3/4 knobs set to Chorus/Reverb for each part, as it sits above the overall Chorus/Reverb levels and is therefore easy to remember. I tend to use Chorus as a delay however.

In the CC messages, There's also things like Attack/Release times on there too which is quite cool to modulate/automate on synth patches. Everything else needs SysEx to modulate which gets a little more complicated.