D Beam Solo Synth

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TragicBeatzs

D Beam Solo Synth

Post by TragicBeatzs »

Can someone on here please explain to me what the hell to use the D BEam for as far as what the solo synth option does on the D Beam cause I can't understand what its for other than to make a screech noise that I dont want. Someone shed some light on what I'm missing lol.
Skijumptoes

Re: D Beam Solo Synth

Post by Skijumptoes »

Well, it's exactly that, you can adjust the synth parameters. But it's mainly a performance tool, and obviously you raise/lower the pitch with your hand.

You also have expression and assignable modes too, so you could use it as aftertouch etc. also.
TragicBeatzs

Post by TragicBeatzs »

My man! U always come with the answers haha! I was trying to adjust the parameters on the menu and for the solo synth I don't see what to really adjust to get any type of sound out of it. I had read that someone had used the solo synth for something for a guitar or something but I mean it doesnt even see to start on any key or correlate with any key you press. It just starts off screeching really. So I dont know what to really use the solo synth part for. The other Parts I've figured out but its just always baffled me as to what this particular function was for.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I guess it depends what music you're playing, put it in the hands of a 70's prog rock band and they'd come out with album full of it!! :-)

I would use it purely for extra chaos if i was playing something, laying your hand flat and doing karate chop like motions being my preferred method! I guess being critical, i would use it in a rhythmic sense, rather than musical.

But definitely is a live performance thing more than a studio function for me, don't think i've ever recorded the Solo Synth sound! :)
Firebass

Post by Firebass »

TragicBeatzs wrote:Can someone on here please explain to me what the hell to use the D BEam for as far as what the solo synth option does on the D Beam cause I can't understand what its for other than to make a screech noise that I dont want. Someone shed some light on what I'm missing lol.
Not shedding any light but...
I use it configured to bend notes like the pitch wheel.. Don't use it often but in the right situation free stying blues is a blast with it. To me it makes an instrument feel more real. I've used the screech once and its not so fun.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I was setting up with it and hadn't realised the solo synth button was on, my mixer sits on a rack just above it and i went to adjust a fader and the solo synth screamed out at full volume as my hand went over. People at the side sorting the drinks and food area out thought i done it as a joke.

Little did they know that i had almost soiled my pants too, really made me jump, as it was a large PA.

Maybe that's what it's for, to scare kids coming up and touching your gear when you're ducked under the table eating a sandwich as you forgot tea before you went out! :)
TragicBeatzs

Post by TragicBeatzs »

Hahahahahahahahahahaha I did that same thing in my room when I first bought my keyboard. I was thinking it was gonna do something other than what it did and i had my KRK's up all the way and omgggggg. Raped me in the face with that screeching sound
cda

Post by cda »

Done the very same thing wearing headphones. Nearly wet myself. I said "Gosh darn it! That was jolly loud!" Or, er, words to that effect... ;)
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

Lol me too. It's loud n I was so hoping it would be a therimin. I Av put it thru my eventide with mega outer universe reverb and its spooky. The dog's think its a ghostly cat and start barking. The pugs of course.
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I use it for 2 octave pitch dive bombs on lead sounds.
I've also used it in the past to fade in a drum track under a pad sound.

I approach it like red hot chilli sauce: a little and in the right place.