Splitting sounds on keyboard

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Flyerphil

Splitting sounds on keyboard

Post by Flyerphil »

Hi all.

First post so sorry if this has been asked.

Thinking of buying above keyboard.

(Already read some of manual but can't find what I'm looking for)

I know you can assign sounds on the pads and split the keyboard into 2 parts but can you assign different sounds (samples I've already created to import into the FA) to different parts of the keyboard? A bit like on the Emulator (Alan Wilder in 101 explaining the different sounds for Black Celebration) .

Thanks all.
Phil.
Skijumptoes

Re: Splitting sounds on keyboard

Post by Skijumptoes »

On Part 16 (Midi Channel 16) The keys play the same samples as per the sample pads.

So yes, you can assign samples to each key in this way, i.e. C is a bass drum, E is a snare etc.

However, there's a few issues - you can't adjust the pitch of the samples (i.e. you couldn't use one sample and get it to pitch up across an octave), and the only control you get is velocity (volume) of sample based on how hard you hit the keys. Plus you're limited to 4 samples playing at once.

Also, samples cannot be loaded as a preset, like normal sounds - they're stored within the song.

So, if you're thinking of using the FA as a sampler, i really would advise against it, it's very basic sampling functions. As a sound generator itself though, it's top notch.
Flyerphil

Post by Flyerphil »

So more of an effect on each key rather than being able to play a melody by assigning say 10 keys for that one sound I've imported?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup, unfortunately.

Only way to play a melody across 10 keys would be to have 10 ready pitched samples for each interval, i.e. C/C#/D/D#/E etc.

Sucks, eh? :)
Flyerphil

Post by Flyerphil »

Just a bit haha.

Oh well. Think I'll still go with the FA tho and if I really can't live without that feature then look at other options.

Thanks for reply and advice. Much appreciated.

Phil.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Flyerphil wrote:Just a bit haha.

Oh well. Think I'll still go with the FA tho and if I really can't live without that feature then look at other options.

Thanks for reply and advice. Much appreciated.

Phil.
There are so many on-board sounds on the FA - plus you can load in 10 expansion packs (but only 2 at a time) and fill up your user slots with sounds from the Integra library (and of course any you create yourself) that I'd say unless you need vocal samples or something like that that the synth can not yet replicate, you should have plenty of sounds to work with.

But yes, as stated above, the pads (and keys on Ch 16) work best as a "loop launcher" or "sample launcher" rather than a "sampler keyboard" that you'd record a sample, then map that across the keys to play up or down a scale.

You'd have to record in a sample for each pitch you wanted, assigned to it's own pad.

There are actually 4 octaves, so it's theoretically possible to get 48 note scales of sampled sounds playable from the keyboard - but only a total of 4 keys/pads at any given time (so 4 note polyphony essentially).

But I think the amount of trouble you'd have to go through to set that up would make it easier just to find a sound as close as possible on the keyboard and use it instead.

if you can't, go with another device, or VSTi, etc.
Flyerphil

Post by Flyerphil »

Thanks stevel. Maybe getting to ahead of myself.

I'll be ordering her in the next few days.