Sequences and Studio Sets - please confirm

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Sequences and Studio Sets - please confirm

Post by stevel »

Hello All.

I've been preparing some sequences and doing some tests - what I'm trying to do is avoid spending 2 weeks creating and designing sequences and then import them into the FA and find out of got to change a bunch of stuff.

What I want to confirm is:

1. When you change a Studio Set, it changes ALL parameters to whatever the new SS is, correct?

Meaning, I don't have to put any kind of "reset" messages for pan or volume and all that stuff at the beginning of my sequences before I import them, correct?

2. My plan is to have "Song 100" (or whatever number I choose) associated with "Studio Set 100" so that when I call up that Sequence and press play, it's going to automatically go to the correct ("associated") SS and play the right sounds at the right volumes and panning positions with the right Chorus and Reverb sends, TFX, etc. etc.

IOW, I want to just call up the song, press play, and have everything be what it's supposed to be without touching the FA other than to play the notes!

3. I'm going to try this in a little while (because at this point I really only have 1 sequence partially ready to go) but I've been using a SS (#200) right now just to help build the sequence.

If I save my Sequence to "Song 7" or something, can I "associate" that SS #200 with it, or should I save the SS to SS #7 as well (over-writing one of the factory ones which I'll probably never use anyway - however the OCD in me says don't do it...)?

Or maybe I should put the song in "Song 200" or something? When I import the Sequences, can I choose where to store them?

I've got to dig out the manual and go run an errand, but I'm going to try this in a little while. Maybe someone will get a chance to respond before I get started.

Just trying to "prepare" as much as possible...

TIA,
Steve
Joe P

Re: Sequences and Studio Sets - please confirm

Post by Joe P »

Steve,

Judging by your other posts, you know way more than I do. But in case this helps, for songs you have to perform 2 save operations for what you described. Write the studio set and then write the song.

I'm sure somebody here can explain it better. But, if you save the song it does not save the state of the studio set. I don't think the order in which you save the studio set and the song matters, and I'm pretty sure saving the song associates it with the current studio set. The main thing is, any changes to the studio set will not be retained by saving the song only, you must also save the studio set.

Good luck!

Joe
stevel

Post by stevel »

Joe P wrote:Steve,

But in case this helps, for songs you have to perform 2 save operations for what you described. Write the studio set and then write the song.

Joe
Actually this is exactly what I was looking for Joe - what to watch out for!

I just had a panic attack becuase when I imported the file it treated it like a Type 0.

Or so I thought - I later realized there were a few tracks that were OK.

I went in and checked the Channel each thing was on, did a test with changing the click track to 10, and sure enough, it pulled that one out.

So what had happened is that all of the MIDI events were on Channel 1 for some tracks.

ordinarily this doesn't create a problem (and it's a mystery why it opened correctly in Cubase).

It may have to do with the way Reaper Exports, or the way the Roland imports.

At any rate I've just gone back and gone ahead and changed every single thing on Track 5 to Channel 5 etc.

It seems to have worked!

So I've got a Studio Set I've already been using, and now this Sequence imported. I need to touch up an instrument error on the Sequence itself but once I do that I'm going to try the save procudure and make sure that when I load the song later, it is in fact associated with the correct studio set.

My next test will be to do another one, load each in turn, and make sure all the sounds and settings change back and forth as I want.

The problem is, if you miss one little thing like I just did with the import, it drives you batty trying to figure out where you went wrong!!!!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I studied some of the demo songs when i first got my FA and they would automatically set themselves up, no matter what studio set you had selected. And i spent some time understanding that and how to print the settings for each track into the opening bar of the song sequence.

Completely forgot how to do it now lol, however, have you considered that method - or seen the demo songs in action performing such a function?
Candy

Post by Candy »

The princip is very easy: In every song you can decide, which Studio Set you want to use. The Studio Set you choose, is saved with the Song. When you change something in the Studio Set, you have to save this, otherwise all your datas are gone! And when you want this changed Studio Set in your Song, you also must choose this.
The best way is, to create a separate Studio Set for each Song and give it the same Name as the Song (perhaps Song with capital letters and Studio Set with small letters). Save Studio Set first and then the Song.

In the Song there is only a link to the Studio Set you want, not the Studio Set itself! The advantage is, you can use one Song with different Studio Sets! Important is, that sou have to save always the Studio Set!
stevel

Post by stevel »

Thanks guys - you are all confirming what I thought.

I did import my song, save it, save the studio set with it. Then I powered down, meandered through some other SS, and called up the song and the SS it was associated with came up and worked perfectly.

I think I'm going to work on a much simpler Sequence today that will have one live part I have to play (2 pianos in octaves so I only have to use one finger ;-) and one backing part.

That should change enough from what I already did to let me know if everything is working properly.

Then I'm going to tread water to see if this band actually gets off the ground...