Get a Moog "Lucky Man" sounding synth for my FA-08?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
RoFd

Get a Moog "Lucky Man" sounding synth for my FA-08?

Post by RoFd »

I was wondering if there is anywhere on Axial or elsewhere where I could download a synth sound for my FA-08 that would sound something like a 60's Moog synth A.K.A. the one Keith Emerson played for the famous Lucky Man solo? I looked through the on board synths and there were few that sounded even slightly close and editing them got me no closer. If anyone has any info on this I would love some help thanks.

Also 3 other quick questions while I'm here.

Is there a way to change the volume of just the onboard rythym drums?

IS there anyway to "Dual" more than 2 sounds?

Is there anywhere I can get flute sounds?

Thanks.
Skijumptoes

Re: Get a Moog "Lucky Man" sounding synth for my FA-08?

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ok,

1. The Lucky Man synth is really quite basic, but incredibly hard to get right as it has that hugely characteristic of a Moog running right through it's core. I would create a new tone and just try stacking Square Oscillators one by one and see how it sounds, then use a slight overdrive MFX to get it Moog-like, definitely needs portamento enabled too.

Saying that, i'm sure i have a Lucky Man preset on my FA at the moment, not sure where i got it from but will check later. I don't think it's very good from memory though, but depends what you're playing through of course.

Also, best case scenario you're only going to get 80-90% there without some kind of additional processing, so be prepared to not get it spot on. If you're doing this as part of a covers band, Maybe listen to the Greg Lake live (Songs of a lifetime) version, that's much easier to get to! :)

2. Changing the volume of the onboard drums, you go into part view and move to Channel 10, then you can use the far right sound modify knob to control part volume (Or on screen if you prefer). What i tend to do is go to Pad Mode, and change my sample pads to be Part select. That way you can just press Pad 10, adjust volume, and then Pad 1 to return to your original sound. So quick.

3. Dual more than 2 sounds is easy, just go to studio set mode (Dual and Split together), then in the part views you can tick the 'Keyb' column, this will link parts to play with the channel that you have selected, you can also create custom splits in there also.

4. Flute sounds should be on your FA by default, remember that you can use the onscreen menus (Categories at the top, and you can swap between with cursor left/right) to scroll through different categories, if you're relying on the buttons under the screen only then you won't see the full library of sounds on the FA. The Brass/Wind button will get you close, just scroll those menus for the flutes.
RoFd

Post by RoFd »

Ok WOW thanks for that I didn't even know that some sound categories were hidden got the flutes going and the multiple instruments sweet. I haven't gotten to the drums yet but I'm sure you were right about that aswell however I am not sure how to create a new tone? I thought that you could only edit one? I looked through the quick start guide and I couldn't find anything there either. Perhaps I'm missing something? Also did you find out where you got that knockoff lucky man tone from? Or in general do you know of a website other than Axial with compatible sounds on it? And no it's not for a cover band I've always just loved that sound more than anything :) and it doesn't need to be dead on I'm pretty sure I read that Keith Detuned the moog anyway so it would be impossible but 80% close would be great!
RoFd

Post by RoFd »

So I found out how to out an Overdrive on the MFX on effects edit not sure if INIT TONE is for user created stuff or not but I'm assuming so and that's what I'm using however I am unsure of how to make the OVerdrive "slight" I also have looked everywhere but been unable to find how to stack and add Square Oscillators one by one I also have no idea what portamento is or how to enable it. sorry if I'm a noob but I really can't find these things in any of the menus or by searching online.
RoFd

Post by RoFd »

Skijumptoes wrote:Ok,

1. The Lucky Man synth is really quite basic, but incredibly hard to get right as it has that hugely characteristic of a Moog running right through it's core. I would create a new tone and just try stacking Square Oscillators one by one and see how it sounds, then use a slight overdrive MFX to get it Moog-like, definitely needs portamento enabled too.

Saying that, i'm sure i have a Lucky Man preset on my FA at the moment, not sure where i got it from but will check later. I don't think it's very good from memory though, but depends what you're playing through of course.

Also, best case scenario you're only going to get 80-90% there without some kind of additional processing, so be prepared to not get it spot on. If you're doing this as part of a covers band, Maybe listen to the Greg Lake live (Songs of a lifetime) version, that's much easier to get to! :)

2. Changing the volume of the onboard drums, you go into part view and move to Channel 10, then you can use the far right sound modify knob to control part volume (Or on screen if you prefer). What i tend to do is go to Pad Mode, and change my sample pads to be Part select. That way you can just press Pad 10, adjust volume, and then Pad 1 to return to your original sound. So quick.

3. Dual more than 2 sounds is easy, just go to studio set mode (Dual and Split together), then in the part views you can tick the 'Keyb' column, this will link parts to play with the channel that you have selected, you can also create custom splits in there also.

4. Flute sounds should be on your FA by default, remember that you can use the onscreen menus (Categories at the top, and you can swap between with cursor left/right) to scroll through different categories, if you're relying on the buttons under the screen only then you won't see the full library of sounds on the FA. The Brass/Wind button will get you close, just scroll those menus for the flutes.
So I found out how to out an Overdrive on the MFX on effects edit not sure if INIT TONE is for user created stuff or not but I'm assuming so and that's what I'm using however I am unsure of how to make the OVerdrive "slight" I also have looked everywhere but been unable to find how to stack and add Square Oscillators one by one I also have no idea what portamento is or how to enable it. sorry if I'm a noob but I really can't find these things in any of the menus or by searching online.
RoFd

Post by RoFd »

Skijumptoes wrote:Ok,

Ok so I googled Portamento and it said It was a pitch thing and I found it and I totally get what it does now and I guess when you said square Oscillator you meant to just stack any square Oscillator and not a specific one I couldn't figure out how to create a new tone as a synth it would only do grand pianos for me so I had to edit a synth Its definitely got the feel now but its FAR from the sound I wonder if there is more I could do... when you said square Oscillator did you mean a PMC wave or a literal square wave because the square lead in PMC seems to be closer. It also seems that I can only stack 3 Oscillators is this true? And again it would be great if you could tell me where you got that knockoff moog synth lucky man sound. Sorry again if I'm being a pain in the ass.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I will look for it tonight, sorry but work was busy yesterday.

And yes, just stack Square waves, for SN-S (Supernatural Synthesis engine) you get 3x Oscillators (Partials) per part, for PCM-S (PCM Synthesis engine) you get 4x Oscillators (Partials) per part. Supernatural engine would be best for this task though, as it's got a nicer sound to it.

If you need more oscillators (partials) then you just create/select a new part and dual play them to layer sounds up, but you shouldn't need to do that with achieving this patch.

And yes, you need to detune the oscillators/waves when stacking, just as Keith would have done with that beast they dragged in to the studio!. I'll have a go at it later and let you know what i come up with. I'm a huge fan of ELP (+ King Crimson) so it would be a pleasure to try and recreate that on the FA, curious how close i can get! As i say, it's a really basic sound, but so hard to master because of the grunt from that original modular system he used.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Couldn't find Lucky Man patch, sorry, it must be on something else i own - possibly a soft synth.

However, had a quick 5 mins trying to recreate it and got pretty close, i'll guide you and this may help you learn the FA a little bit too, it's super quick at editing:-

(Remember to play the keyboard as you make each change to hear how it's being affected)

1. Firstly set up your sample pads to help you edit - Go Pad Utility button (near pads) then select Pad Mode on your screen, Then go for option 6. This will let you pick which partial (Oscillator) you are editing, much quicker.

2. Go to any SN-S patch (Press Synth/Pad button for example) and then press shift+ button 2 (Tone Edit) (Or you can go Menu - Tone Edit).

3. Clear that tone (Tone Utility > Tone Initiliaze).

4. Firstly set your common parameters, so in the common tab (Shift+Left) press button 4 (Pro Edit) - This gives you more options on the portamento, in there adjust:

Analog Feel: 10
Mono/Poly: Mono
Portamento Switch: ON
Portamento Time: 4
Portamento Mode: NORMAL

You can then press button 4 and go back to zoom edit for the rest.

5. Now go to oscillator screen (Shift+Right), On your sample pads press pad 6 to turn on partial 2, and also press pad 2 to turn on editing for pad 2 (Any changes you make affect both oscillators doing this). (Pads 5-7 Enable/Disable partials 1-3, Pads 1-3 show which you are editing).

You can see which partials are enabled and set for editing top right of screen also.

Changes you make from this point will affect BOTH partials as we have them both selected (Green pads):-

6. In the oscillator screen you can pick: Wave:SQR and just leave Variation: A.

7. Filter Screen (Shift+Right 2x) Set cutoff to about 100-110 ish (This takes the edge of the square so not so harsh).

8. Amp Screen (Shift+Right) - Set R (Release) to around 115 - This keeps the note sustaining.

You know need to set each partial independently for the detune, so:-

9. Pitch Screen (Shift+Left x2).
Firstly Make sure only Sample pad 1 is Green (Turn off 2) this lets you detune partial 1
Set Partial 1 Detune: -15
Then swap to Sample pad 2, and turn off sample 1 this lets you detune partial 2
Set Partial 2 Detune: +15

So that's your two square waves detuned around centre frequency, with portamento engaged, and Release opened up to make the notes sustained.

Other than that, you can apply a little bit of reverb either using TFX or the Reverb sends:
TFX Method:
Sound modify matrix, press select to go to row 4 (Compressor/Tone/Chorus etc.) and turn TFX Select to Reverb, then TFX Ctrl to set the reverb amount.

Reverb Send:
MENU > Effects Edit
Ensure Reverb is on (Green light), set the level from Part 1 to Reverb to 127 (Line joining the Part 1 box and Reverb box is the send level).

From there you can then increase the reverb or lessen it using the Sound modify matrix Reverb knob.

It looks a lot of text above, but really it's very simple, and from here you can alter the detune, try different oscillator shapes, adjust portamento time etc. and get as close as you can.