FA-07!?!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Myrk-

FA-07!?!

Post by Myrk- »

Today's announcement was the FA-07!? Who saw that coming? (not me!)

Massive pro side to this is that maybe now they will patch all the issues! haha!

https://www.roland.com/global/products/fa_series/
Skijumptoes

Re: FA-07!?!

Post by Skijumptoes »

Even the youtube channel is alive with FA vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/RolandChannel/videos

Be amazing if they put a firmware out, i can't see enough wrong with the FA to justify it. But if they wanna give us pitched sample playback, i'm all for that! :)
bill555

Post by bill555 »

If I had enough money I'd buy Roland and fire each and every idiot responsible for this. :( When I heard an FA-07 was coming out, I was cautiously optimistic; I can't really justify the cost of an 08 but can't abide the 06 key bed, so hoped this was basically an 06 with weighted keys (anything else additional was gravy) for not too much more coin. lol. "FA-7.9" would have been more accurate; as near as I can tell, it's basically the 08 with a few less keys (76), and - the kicker - the cheaper "synth action" key bed. Yet it's pretty close in price to the 08 ($1500).
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

I think the keybed on the new FA-07 is semi-weighted as opposed to the very light synth action on the 06, so it's probably the same as a Jupiter-50 keybed, which when I played one, felt pretty good.

I'm actually excited about the 07, I've recently started to play gigs again after a few years off, & want to use the FA live. My 06 is the centre of my studio, and apart from a great deal of hassle getting it out for live use, 61 keys isn't enough for the splits/layers I need. Like many, I don't get on with fully-weighted piano action keys, so that rules the 08 out. 76 keys will do nicely. Then there's the added advantage of a stable operating system that's been around for three years, so no unexpected bugs, I don't have to learn a new system, and I can transfer studio sets and user tones from the 06 on an SD card.

I think the FA-07 might be seen as a good compromise between the 06 & 08 for a stage keyboard, and also might explain why Roland discontinued the Jupiter 50.
stevel

Post by stevel »

I can't afford to trade in my 06 and upgrade, but if I could, and IF the keys are "normal sized" I'd do it without hesitation.

I don't really care about the "action" - it's the physical size of the keys that irks me.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote:Even the youtube channel is alive with FA vids - https://www.youtube.com/user/RolandChannel/videos

Be amazing if they put a firmware out, i can't see enough wrong with the FA to justify it. But if they wanna give us pitched sample playback, i'm all for that! :)
There is a software update that has some great features!

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... ng01_W.pdf

They didn't fix MFX, but at least with Keyboard Switching Groups, it will make live performance much much better - you can do everything within a single studio set as opposed to having to toggle between sets (i.e. when changing multiple sounds within a single song, etc.)
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

There is a new FA07 picture on Rolands german website (see attachment), that shows up a FA with a non glossy surface. But other pictures show a glossy surface. Is it Myrks overlay? If this model is adressed to the live performer, it would make sense. Anyone?

https://www.roland.com/de/categories/sy ... rkstation/
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (123.15 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

The trick is look at the FA screen. On the pics I have seen of the FA07 with the glossy surface, the screen clearly shows either a 61 or 88 key "virtual" keyboard - same as FA06/08 display. The pics with the matted finish, like the one above, show 76 keys on the screen. I'm guessing it does have a non-reflective surface. I really hope so, because just breathing in the same room as the FA06 creates a thousand new little scratchy bits all over it.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

My local music shop advised me from purchasing an FA when i did as they had been told by Roland reps that the surface would be changed.

That was quite some time ago, so glad i got my FA when i did! :) But wouldn't surprise me if this was matte, images are definitely different on the site for sure, good spot.
bill555

Post by bill555 »

Lunar wrote:I think the keybed on the new FA-07 is semi-weighted as opposed to the very light synth action on the 06,
Yeah apparently, my bad...I forget where I read otherwise. Would have been worth looking at if the price was more reasonable.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

bennyseven wrote:There is a new FA07 picture on Rolands german website (see attachment), that shows up a FA with a non glossy surface. But other pictures show a glossy surface. Is it Myrks overlay? If this model is adressed to the live performer, it would make sense. Anyone?
Not my overlay, I assume it's just typical Roland computer generated images. The demo video of it is most certainly glossy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWFPebtMYXI
scramble

Post by scramble »

Roland's website says that the 06 has "61 keys (with velocity)", whereas the 07 has "76 keys (semi-weighted keyboard with velocity)", so presumably the 07 keybed will be different - and hopefully better - than the 06 keybed.
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

scramble wrote:Roland's website says that the 06 has "61 keys (with velocity)", whereas the 07 has "76 keys (semi-weighted keyboard with velocity)", so presumably the 07 keybed will be different - and hopefully better - than the 06 keybed.
A couple of guys at gearfest have reported that is is in fact different than the 06/08 and night and day better. Similar to the Jupiter 50 action.
TerryW

Post by TerryW »

Skijumptoes wrote:My local music shop advised me from purchasing an FA when i did as they had been told by Roland reps that the surface would be changed.

That was quite some time ago, so glad i got my FA when i did! :) But wouldn't surprise me if this was matte, images are definitely different on the site for sure, good spot.
I'm planning on getting an FA-07 very soon (to replace my 15+ year-old "original" Fantom FA-76). Has anyone gotten one yet who can tell us if the shiny/scratchy surface(s) have been improved for this new model?

This is my first post on this forum. Can I assume that there will soon be a flood of FA-07 comments, reviews, & complaints now that it is available, or will that probably take a few months from now?
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Welcome Terry! Apparently the FA-07 ships with overlays. Not a lot of reports here yet as it has just started shipping but there are a couple of reviews on FB and Keyboard Corner about the new keybed.