New System Program 2.0

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
mangepange

New System Program 2.0

Post by mangepange »

Version history
[ Ver.2.00 ]

[ Additional function ]
Seamlessly Switching Between Multiple Sounds While Performing (Sound Remain)

Memorizing the Pad Mode for Each Studio Set

Using the [1] - [8] Buttons as Pads (Virtual Pad)

Using the FA as a Master Keyboard

Controlling Ableton Live from the FA
* Use the most recent version of Ableton Live. For information on how to update Ableton Live, refer to the Help or to the website of Ableton AG.
RoFa08

Re: New System Program 2.0

Post by RoFa08 »

Good news!!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh, nothing there which really excites me, but any update is most appreciated of course.

Here's some more details:-

http://www.publicnow.com/view/D773FE9D6 ... :00-xxx298
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

This master keyboard issue could be the saving grace of this device, and undo all of my comments and gripes from previous! Updating it now, will let people know if it really resolves the issues!
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

OK that MKB thing was a load of crap... just rehashed menus which I guess might make assignments easier, but it was fine before anyway. The MKB addition doesn't resolve basic external midi control issues (octave shifting per channel), so really no change here. Shame... I don't get it either, they say in the manual about using external modules, but no ability to pitch shift without shifting everything isn't there still, so you can't do a typical thing of controlling 2 external modules. Stupid given it has 16 channels...
scramble

Post by scramble »

>[ Additional function ]
>Seamlessly Switching Between Multiple Sounds While Performing (Sound Remain)

Great, as long as it really works.

>Memorizing the Pad Mode for Each Studio Set

This is something I've complained about before, so this is good.

>Using the [1] - [8] Buttons as Pads (Virtual Pad)

??? Could overcomplicate things.

>Using the FA as a Master Keyboard

Excellent, it will make the FA a vastly more useful machine, and I may not sell it eventually after all. But it depends how it's implemented. [Edit: from what Myrk says the basic problems still remain.]

Is that it though? I still really want an option to turn on and go straight to the patch that was last on.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer the lack of new pad modes is really disappointing too - I would have thought it would be obvious to stick in a few more modes or little tricks up there... even playing pre-made chords or doing control functions over CC... so many options, but non.

I guess Roland checked to see if live musicians really needed these features and made a priority list... but then again they would assume no one needs these functions if they never put them in to see them in action :P
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah, not being ungrateful, but hardly worthy of a ver 2.0 label is it.

Myrk - Out of curiosity are you using remote keyboard option on/off on the FA, and are you going direct midi in to the FA, or via USB and routing through a computer?

I've noticed differences in behaviour, in regards to octave/pitching relating to different configurations of the above, if it helps.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hey Skijumptoes

In this quick test I went midi out from the FA to 2 boutiques midi chained on channels 12 and 14. Using the octave +/- in the pitch settings still does nothing, it's only an internal feature, so for external synth pitch shifting we only have the master octave shift, but if you split your keybed then generally you don't want one of the sounds shifting in pitch, so that function isn't appropriate. I tried with remote keyboard on and off and it was the same with both settings. I notice they also still haven't fixed the INT/EXT/BOTH issues yet... bah!
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

I cant believe Roland about the attitude they have to existing customers. It's quite insulting that they wait for a new release of the fa series to give us this release. I only want one thing from any update they give us which from the sound of things is not mentioned. That is the edit the sequencer and return the current measure back to one bug. And it is a bug! Yes agree about pad modes that construct its use is better. Like a chord memory like the behringer dm12. However, the silly fa07 is a joke. The silly keyboard on it looks awful. Why do they waste engineering time with such a white elephant? This is the big future lol. But I still love the fa for giving us sampling at ease and a good sound engine.
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

Hi,

sure the label 2.0 assumes more than just 3 new functions, and the time since update 1.03 is long but any update is better than no update. As i mentioned in another thread i also have a long wishlist of things that im missing, and none of them have added in this update, but i just enjoyed the new pad mode 8. I just realised i can no have various layers of sounds in one single studio set. Previously i had one SS for each song i play but switching SS isnt seamless. Great addition that i never imagined.
Master Keyboard should have been there from day one imho as well as saving pad mode with SS.

The thing that bugs me the most is thats maybe the last update we get. Maybe there will be 2.01 but just with fixes.
I hope im wrong on that.
R.U.Doin

Post by R.U.Doin »

I'm hoping that the update 2.0 isn't quite ready, but they had to launch it because of the announcement of the 07. Maybe it is false hope, but a man can dream!
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

Its ready and can be downloaded from roland.com.
cda

Post by cda »

PugFace wrote: I only want one thing from any update they give us which from the sound of things is not mentioned. That is the edit the sequencer and return the current measure back to one bug.
They no fix this?

Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Pad mode saved with Studio Set is a great add.