New System Program 2.0

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
bennyseven

Re: New System Program 2.0

Post by bennyseven »

Maybe it is not a bug and part of the design.

To avoid the sequencer to turn back to measure 1 after editing one data elemt in the microscope, just leave editing a row like you entered editing. This means, cursor right is to select a data element to be edited (i.e. note number or on-velocity) and after you finished your input just prss cursor left until the whole row is highlighted. Then proceed from the same measure.

DO NOT USE EXIT BUTTON TO LEAVE EDITOR. Will return to measure 1.

Just use: cursor right to start edit, and cursor left to end edit. That's it.

Hope that helps, and I think it is not a real work around, it is the concept of the user interface.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I just noticed that if you hold the shift key while setting split positions for parts that you can press a key on the keyboard to set it. Is this new in 2.0? I'm not going to roll back to check that lol
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

This was also a feature of Release 1.
There are many shift functions. Just search the forum.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I was actually pressing shift everywhere in the hope some magical way of pitch shifting samples may arise lol, so i've found a few more haha.

But damn, no way of pitching those samples!!! Grrrr :-)
nussmuss

Post by nussmuss »

Skijumptoes wrote:I just noticed that if you hold the shift key while setting split positions for parts that you can press a key on the keyboard to set it. Is this new in 2.0? I'm not going to roll back to check that lol
This is the way it was before.
darkknight

Post by darkknight »

the new update is really good for my use of hte fa.
but i need a bit more...
someone know, after this update, if there are some way to select che kbd group using a pedal like some sort of pedal-up???
when i press the pedal it select next kbd group so
press -> kbd grp 1
press -> kbd grp 2
press -> kbd grp 3 and so on

someone know if it's possible????
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Well, you can change favorites either up or down with a pedal - so if you're organized...
neomad

Post by neomad »

Very happy with the update. As some said, 'small' update is better than no update at all. And it is not small !

Only one thing is really missing, to me of course: PC/MAC/Ipad editor and librarian. I do have many studio sets for the songs of my band and it is a pain in the neck to program all the setlits all the time. With a librarian this can be done seamlessly ... and with an editor, you can really really go deeper in programing (specially in S&S).

Did anyone hear something about an editor? (This will also boost the sales !!)
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

bennyseven wrote:Maybe it is not a bug and part of the design.

To avoid the sequencer to turn back to measure 1 after editing one data elemt in the microscope, just leave editing a row like you entered editing. This means, cursor right is to select a data element to be edited (i.e. note number or on-velocity) and after you finished your input just prss cursor left until the whole row is highlighted. Then proceed from the same measure.

DO NOT USE EXIT BUTTON TO LEAVE EDITOR. Will return to measure 1.

Just use: cursor right to start edit, and cursor left to end edit. That's it.

Hope that helps, and I think it is not a real work around, it is the concept of the user interface.
i dont believe there is a problem of the return in microscope only in the general edit. i never seen this at all ever.

Anyway i found a semi-simple work around. and that is to edit the section required and then get immediately back by going to record in loop mode which will take it to the loop point. This almost works as a marker type jump for going back to a work point. One thing i like is the sequencer always automatically returns back to the start of a record after recording.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Seamlessly Switching Between Multiple Sounds While Performing (Sound Remain)
The big deal here is the Keyboard Groups - before, if you wanted an effected version of a sound and an unaffected version of the same sound, along with other multiple instruments, you had to use two studio sets or two versions (one with FA, one not) in the same studio set.

While using the Pads to turn on and of the keyboard switches, you couldn't "toggle" without hitting two Pads simultaneously. Same would be true of mute or solo.

Switching studio sets would work better, but, things like delays don't carry over studio set changes IIRC.

So this way you can set up one keyboard switch group to be Part 1 and 3, and another to be Part 2 and 3, and just jump between the two groups with a single button push.

For more elaborate splits and layers, this is a godsend - it was one of the things that was keeping the FA from being a really great live keyboard.

In fact I was just working with a sequence where I had to use CC7 messages in the sequence to turn on and off the various parts that I want to play live because there was no way to effectively switch between the groups with a single button (pad) push.

Now I can.
Using the [1] - [8] Buttons as Pads (Virtual Pad)
And now they're much closer :-)

I haven't tried yet but since you can save the Pad mode for each SS, I assume you could use the buttons for regular sound selection or Favorites in some studio sets, and as Virtual Pads in another where you don't have time to reach over (though I find the main pads easier to see live, as well as be less likely to press the wrong one or miss it altogether).

Memorizing the Pad Mode for Each Studio Set
This wasn't a big deal to me but I did run across it just a like a day or two before the 2.0 announcement was made. It just seemed kind of boneheaded on their part.

So I'm glad they did fix it because it's one less thing to have to set up if you're using the pads for various purposes, especially live.

Using the FA as a Master Keyboard
This looks good on paper.

Just glancing through, it looks like you could put say, Part 2 to send the Assignable knobs to control an external synth. Not sure how you'd mute the sound on Part 2 because I'm sure it would have to be active in a keyboard group, and how you'd make the knobs only affect those parts, not the internal sound, but if it works it may not be a "true controller" but it definitely improves the capabilities.
stevel

Post by stevel »

PugFace wrote:I cant believe Roland about the attitude they have to existing customers. It's quite insulting that they wait for a new release of the fa series to give us this release. .
Well, look at it from their perspective - the 07 has probably been in production for a while so why would they release 1.4 and 1. 5 and 1.6, etc. when they could just do one collective update when the 07 hits the streets?

They want the new product to be on the current 'ware. So it makes sense just to ship it with the latest, and allow the other users to update to the latest (and I'm very happy we're able to do that - in ye olden days once you bought it, that was it).

My hope now is, maybe there will be some bugs in 2.0 that are discovered with a slew of new 07 purchasers and it will cause them at least to release 2.0+ some time in the *near* future.

I'm more disappointed that they haven't added any more interesting sounds on the Axial site (like the Integra ones you can use). It's be cool if some more EXP packs became available as well, but since the PC#s are built into the software there'd have to be an update for that as well I guess.
stevel

Post by stevel »

bennyseven wrote:This was also a feature of Release 1.
There are many shift functions. Just search the forum.

I need a list!

I've been setting split points for the last week with the dial...

That's handy to know now (even if I could have done it all along...)
stevel

Post by stevel »

neomad wrote:Very happy with the update. As some said, 'small' update is better than no update at all. And it is not small !

Only one thing is really missing, to me of course: PC/MAC/Ipad editor and librarian. I do have many studio sets for the songs of my band and it is a pain in the neck to program all the setlits all the time. With a librarian this can be done seamlessly ... and with an editor, you can really really go deeper in programing (specially in S&S).

Though I've been living without the editor (and any software that comes out now probably won't work on my aging computer) I'd say it should be the #1 thing they produce (but no update to the keyboard itself would be needed - maybe only the software itself and a driver update).

My #1 request is the ability to turn MFX on and off using at least the S1/S2 buttons.

The keyboard switch groups may solve (i.e. workaround) this issue but it still involves using two parts rather than just one you turn the effect on and off for.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

stevel wrote:
Seamlessly Switching Between Multiple Sounds While Performing (Sound Remain)
The big deal here is the Keyboard Groups - before, if you wanted an effected version of a sound and an unaffected version of the same sound, along with other multiple instruments, you had to use two studio sets or two versions (one with FA, one not) in the same studio set.
Well, i would even go further to say that a bigger deal is voice polyphony being saved, i.e. in that you don't need to Mute parts anymore using this method if you wanted to multi-select in multiples of 2 or more.

Muting via the sample pads would be the only option for this, and of course muting still takes up voice polyphony in the background on the muted parts.

Keyboard groups mean that only the parts selected will be processed by the FA. Which is a huge bonus.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote:I was actually pressing shift everywhere in the hope some magical way of pitch shifting samples may arise lol, so i've found a few more haha.

But damn, no way of pitching those samples!!! Grrrr :-)
List?

Please :-)

Lots of people have said that the shift button is where all the secret tricks are. Now that you guys discussed the splits that's very helpful.

I know they're all in the manual but it'd be nice to have them all in one place!

I for one am ecstatic about this upgrade, 1 because it adds some extemely useful live performance features and 2 because it gives me hope that with the 07 come out and the subsequent batch of new purchasers, they'll get that many more requests for feature upgrades and hopefully respond with more than just bug fixes.

I doubt there's an FA 04 in the works, but who knows - the 07 was an absolute surprise (and a good marketing decision for Roland IMHO).