EXP-11??

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Skijumptoes

Re: EXP-11??

Post by Skijumptoes »

Escaperocks wrote: Sorry to be dense here.....

Does this mean I can have all EXP in my machine, even though only two can be active at a time?
Sadly not, no.

I imagine why this is how it is, is so that the FA has fixed memory locations to refer to even if the EXP isn't loaded.

i.e. so say if you created a patch and it used EXP-02 Waves, but you didn't have EXP-02 loaded when recalling that patch, it would still be able to show you from which EXP the patch waves were from so you could load it back up to use the patch again, that could be quite handy. I'm guessing it would just be greyed out....

...probably lol, i've never been in that position, i may try it though to see if that's what happens. :)
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

Thank you!

I figured as much, but thought maybe I had missed some unpublished trick to being able to "carry" all the EXPs with me in the FA08 :)
stevel

Post by stevel »

Escaperocks wrote:Thank you!

I figured as much, but thought maybe I had missed some unpublished trick to being able to "carry" all the EXPs with me in the FA08 :)
No, but you can carry them on a USB (or SD Card, whichever it is for those). So you can download them all, save them in the right folder on the portable storage, then just load up whichever ones you want (you could actually do this for all kinds of edited tones as well I believe).

I see them more for studio use anyway - loading up the Strings when you're going to do a strings heavy recording and the Orchestral one doesn't have all you need.

But it's strictly a pre-load for what you need - not something you'd probably want to do between songs at a gig!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah and take the firmware update off the card if you're gonna do that a lot, i sometimes lose my mind and hold down write (or whatever it is) to start the firmware update off by mistake instead of Preview for the EXP selection.

Then i'm too worried to turn it off once it starts, so end up sitting there watching it do it's thing. :)
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

Just adding some proof that EXP-11 is coming. Copied bin files and renamed them and tried to install. EXP-11 exists alright as "Vintage Synth Collection". EXP-12 and above does not exist.
Attachments
exp11
exp11
E5119EA7-85D9-4FEE-A89F-F3605E528586.JPG (183.81 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
RoFa08

Post by RoFa08 »

Did you rename an existing EXP(01-10) to EXP11?
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

RoFa08 wrote:Did you rename an existing EXP(01-10) to EXP11?
Yes, and of course it will not load into the FA. :-)
Just did it to see the name of EXP-11.
RoFa08

Post by RoFa08 »

Cool!

There will be new waveforms? Old waveforms re designed into new tones? How close to vintage synth will be PCM synth tones compared to SN synth tones? Other synth gears or only Roland legends?
Who knows? Ahah...
progg

Post by progg »

progg

Post by progg »

more demos of EXP-11:
https://soundcloud.com/rolandcom
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

oh... hellllooooo... *downloads*.

(thanks for the heads-up!)
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Well, initial thoughts are a bit mixed, some wonderful pads in there which i really like, far too much brass for my liking lol, and the synth bass are a bit over-'clicky'.

A lot of overlap as to what's already available, however, which was my main concern. But overall this is one of the better expansions i think.

Gonna keep it loaded up for the next week and see what use i make out of it. Some of the evolving pads are really really nice though. 0039 Is the standout patch for me (Ethernal) - sounds lovely, and will be checking out the tone edit on that to recreate some more, although i'm willing to bet this is part of the PCM matrix that the supernatural engine doesn't have - bah!

Also, 0069: JD8 AcPiano1 has a really nice 90's house piano sound (i.e. along the lines of the famous M1 piano) - that surprised me somewhat, and came out of the blue.
Jdoo

Post by Jdoo »

Wow -- there are some fantastic tones in this collection. Am blown away by several of the pads. There are a lot of tones across the collection that are great though. Incredible that three years after it's release, Roland is still providing Axial updates for this system. This definitely won one of the two slots for EXP expansion in my FA. What really is nice-- is punching up a Pad... holding it with sustain, then grabbing another sound (new feature of the 2.0 update), and playing over the held pad. Big thumbs up for this past week's releases from Roland, for the FA.
progg

Post by progg »

I also thought there would be too much sounds in EXP-11 already covered by FA's factory set or the Integra packs made compatible for the FA. Anyway, since I actually don't have FA but really considering getting FA when released, I'm much interested in Synth Bass category. Would you recommend me the best EXPs/packs that enhance whats already loaded in the FA. Fat Minimoog type basses are particularly what I'm after since I cannot afford a dedicated analog beast right now. And having listened the youtube demos, I'm not so excited about what I hear (factory synth bass category). Maybe EXP-02 and the Instegra SH-101 Pure would do the trick?

Funnily enough, I really like Korg Microkorg XL synth basses (judging on the demos again), they have character and big bottom, but the build quality and the small keys are huge trade offs..still not sure.

I never thought I'd get back to Roland - my very first synth was the ancient and basic JX-1. FA offers a lot for the money, no doubt (thought I'm more after Korg and Yamaha when it comes to synth sounds), and really hope the build quality is good, reliable and not having these awful LCD glitches Roland was notorious for.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I have my FA hooked up to an original Microkorg (I did have the XL too, but let it go after preferring the original more), you can pick those original ones up super cheap secondhand nowadays as the market is full of them, grab one while there's plenty about as (imo) they're absolute gems, and you can midi to them straight from the FA.

The FA can do really good bass, and it's relatively easy to get the sound that you want. But it's hard to recommend a pack or expansion as things are spread out, and like most sounds bass is very subjective.

Obviously, You can make whatever bass you want (within reason) without any expansions, but you won't get the type of sound you get from a moog, i mean they're another level, and why so many people praise them.

You will get close, of course. And the FA stands up well even at low frequencies, which helps. But the FA doesn't do dirty/driven sounds so well in my mind.

Microkorg on the other hand, there's something about that thing which sounds dirty and analog when it's actually digital. Particularly the original, it even looks like something vintage now.