FA - guitar strums

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BobF

FA - guitar strums

Post by BobF »

How does one get passable guitar strums, both down and up, out of these things?

I'm a guitar player and wannabe keyboard player. The FA (06) is a great song writing tool for me, but it would be much better if I could semi-realistic guitar strums out of this thing without spending hours twiddling MIDI notes in the sequencer.
Skijumptoes

Re: FA - guitar strums

Post by Skijumptoes »

Have you tried using the supernatural acoustic engine and set it to strum mode?

i.e. select a guitar patch, let's say the default 0084:Classic Guitar.

Menu > Tone Edit, change Supernatural Inst from 025 Nylon Guitars - to 026 SteelStr Guitar.

Then adjust the strum mode to:ON, and play with the strum speed and strum noise levels.

On top of that, you have chord mode, you can try the various single finger chord modes - i find the rolled chord options when playing softly with an acoustic patch sounds nice. Harder you play the tighter the roll, and it doesn't sound so good.

And then, alternatively (My fav!!) also you have the arpeggiator, used in conjunction with the Supernatural Acoustic engine, enable the arp and check out arp presets 061-075. Some of them are wonderful, 063 particularly has plenty of variations to it.

Don't forget that you can play single finger with arp also, set the Motif: to Phrase and change variations to hear different playing - it's really good for song writing/ideas. And some of the presets have 10-15 variations, which really come to live in phrase mode.

Accent rate can be used to mellow the playing (100%), or make it more aggressive (0%).
BobF

Post by BobF »

Thanks ski ... I have an ac steel string selected with strum enabled and using chord mode works great. If there was a keyswitch or something to get up strokes I would be in business.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Arp mode too mate, you need to try that - it's awesome on phrase mode for fleshing out song ideas and has a far natural feel.

Or set the arp to up/down phrase mode and use chord memory with that (Rolled disabled).

Don't forget that you can set the chord mode to alternate up/down if you're using the FA rolls also, if you're using slow rolls like that, and also increase the release via the sound modify controls can help it sound a bit more natural.
BobF

Post by BobF »

good stuff. thanks ski

I found some combos of settings I think I can use.