Will phantom power damage my FA-06?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
vkinetic

Will phantom power damage my FA-06?

Post by vkinetic »

I intend to connect my FA 06 to a mixer via balanced cables (TRS to XLR). However the mixer has phantom power ON which powers some DI boxes. Will that phantom power damage my FA 06?

Thanks for any help
stevel

Re: Will phantom power damage my FA-06?

Post by stevel »

vkinetic wrote:I intend to connect my FA 06 to a mixer via balanced cables (TRS to XLR). However the mixer has phantom power ON which powers some DI boxes. Will that phantom power damage my FA 06?

Thanks for any help
No. Phantom power is only used when it is "called for" by the device.

For example, many mixing consoles have Phantom Power available on the entire set of inputs (on one switch).

You may need to turn Phantom Power on for a single condenser mic plugged into one channel, while plain old dynamic mics are plugged into the rest. It doesn't "hurt" the other mics. It just basically is "there waiting to be used" and then when you plug in something that needs it - like a condenser mic - it "draws" from the power.

However, you should be aware that you do not need to use the XLR.

If you want to used balanced cables in a studio setup, if your mixer's 1/4" inputs accept balanced or unbalanced signals (sometimes says "bal or unbal" on the jack, if not check the manual) you should plug them in directly there instead of the XLR ports.

The XLR jacks are "Mic level" and go through a pre-amp.

The 1/4" jacks are "Line Level (which is what the keyboard is) and do not go through the pre-amps.

The 1/4" inputs also do not send the phantom power so it's not even an issue. So the "right" way to do it wouldn't even cause the question!

Now, if you're on stage and running the Fantom into a Direct Box then a long XLR run to the console (which is the way to do it) you should be using a *passive* DI which doesn't require phantom power.

Not sure what you're using the active DIs for in your setup???
scramble

Post by scramble »

Yes, you should be plugging into the jack sockets on your mixer, not the XLR sockets. (Unless you're going via a DI Box, but it doesn't sound like you are.) Even if the jack sockets on your mixer are not balanced you should still plug into them. XLR sockets are for mic level signals.

(In theory phantom power shouldn't harm your equipment, espeically a modern piece of kit, but it sometimes happens. But if you plug into the jack sockets on your mixer this won't be an issue.)

>Now, if you're on stage and running the Fantom into a Direct Box then a long XLR run to the console (which is the way to do it) you should be using a *passive* DI which doesn't require phantom power.

Well, you could use an active DI, but a passive one is the usual choice for keyboards, because it doesn't require power, and it's not like the keyboard signal needs any extra grunt. (I use a passive.)

>Not sure what you're using the active DIs for in your setup???

Presumably these are being used by other band members.
vkinetic

Post by vkinetic »

Thanks so much for your replies and sorry it took me so long to respond. I did make up some balanced cables (trs to xlr) and have been going direct into a mixer - no problems with level or distortion, at least with the Yamaha desk I'm using

On the subject of passive di's though - one great substitute is a transformer - I had a couple of Shure transformers (http://www.shure.com/americas/products/ ... ransformer)when I ran a studio a decade or more ago :( and I still use them. I found out that they are still available - unbelievable and not expensive. A very elegant way of avoiding ground loops and noise.

Now if only Roland would release a software editor for the FA series.

cheers

keith
freanAngelo

Post by freanAngelo »

use a good DI. I Have my radial jdi stereo DI or radial pro d2.