EXP 11 NOW AVAILABLE!!!!!

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

EXP 11 NOW AVAILABLE!!!!!

Post by stevel »

29 June 2017

I just found out from the other EXP 11? thread, but forumites might not know if they don't go through that whole thread.

Here's the direct link:

http://axial.roland.com/articles/exp-11 ... ollection/

It's also here:

http://axial.roland.com/category/fa-06_fa-08/

where you usually find 01-10, but it's at the top of the page, not right beside 10 like you'd expect.

Enjoy!
Gatorjohn

Re: EXP 11 NOW AVAILABLE!!!!!

Post by Gatorjohn »

I'll be trying it out when I get home!
stevel

Post by stevel »

Quick and dirty review:

This, IMHO, would be a good collection for the person who wants more of the D-series, Jupiter, Juno, as well as Moog, P5, Matrix 12, Oberheim, etc. synths.

These are already pretty well-represented with a few to many examples of each in the FA. This EXP will essentially "add more of what you already have".

Especially nice - which is not as well-represented in the FA factory sounds - are the FM and additional D-50 sounds. It's nice to have some of those without that lower bit-rate sound quality of the originals.

While one of my hopes was that it would add a few more non-Roland vintage synths, or add more from things like the Sound Canvas (there are a couple in here that sound just like my SC - the VP-330 Choir for example), this set - while doing exactly that - doesn't really cover much ground that the FA doesn't already cover by default.

Given the fact that if you install Synth Legends (Pure), you get a lot of what this covers (though all Roland-specific in that collection).

Thus the benefit of this EXP 11 would, IMHO,be simply any sounds that the FA doesn't have stock, and you can't get from SL(P).

Likewise, if you don't want to "waste" 128 user locations on SL(P), this would give you additional Synths that expand on what's already in the FA and cover some of what SL(P) covers as well.

Thus I'd say this is a pretty "specific use" set, and ideal for the "vintage synth enthusiast" who wants to expand on the FA's factory sound set a little bit more, and in this specific direction.

Given that SL(P) is really a similar collection, and installing it doesn't waste an EXP slot, I would say:

Put EXP 01, and/or 02, and/or 03 in the EXP Slots, unless you have a specific need for any of the other EXPs, namely 10, if you need Orchestral sounds, and add Synth Legends (Pure) to get the additional synth sounds (Roland J and D series).

or

Put EXP 01, 02 or 03 AND 11 in for a "synth enthusiat's dream board (I could make arguments for all 3 - 01+11 for more modern things, 02+11 for more "vintage" things, and 03+11 for a "decades" synth board).

Of course the synth enthusiast could install EXP 11 AND Synth Legends (Pure) and still EXP 01, 02, or 03 and have a really great set of synth sounds in presets alone.
jseigm

Post by jseigm »

Any new expansions in the works? Is EXP-11 the last one or does the FA have the capacity for more and will Roland produce them?
stevel

Post by stevel »

jseigm wrote:Any new expansions in the works? Is EXP-11 the last one or does the FA have the capacity for more and will Roland produce them?
There are actually more slots available in the system, so the belief is that you could theoretically have up to 14 or 16.

I think EXP 11 just showing up like it did was a shock to many people who felt that it was unlikely Roland was going to release and more (as was the last system update).

Some of this coincided with the release of the FA-07.

While the 07 is the same guts as the 06 and 08, they might have generated enough new buyers with that board to produce more feedback to customer support and maybe they might be inclined to work on more sounds.

Who knows how long it takes to develop these things.

I would say, if the rate they're going is any indication, it's unlikely they'll get to 14 or 16 before the product line is replaced by something else and they use a different format, making it impossible to load any new expansions for any new product - they've got to get you to buy the new stuff some way!

I'd like to think they're as OCD as me though and will at least give us a 12 so it's an even number!

But don't hold your breath.
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

My guess is they will eventually release one more.
ElevenPhingahz

Post by ElevenPhingahz »

Like to see improved organ. :)
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Looking at the structure of the expansions themselves wonder how easy it would be for 3rd party expansions?
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

A member here called jimmy analysed it. To put it simple: not easy.