Fantom X to FA Transition

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
eyekahn

Re: Fantom X to FA Transition

Post by eyekahn »

Skijumptoes,

I don't even use the Fantom X pianos any more. My live rig is half physical/half virtual. I only use pianos on Kontakt for my live sets now. "The Grandeur" and "The Maverick" handle virtually everything I need to throw at them. It will be interesting how/if the SN-A pianos stack up against these. As far as my own PCM sample go, again, Kontakt is now my go-to on anything requiring custom sampling. It is easier to use and far more flexible.

Myrk,

That device looks interesting, but the midi routing capabilities of my virtual rack host likely is more mature and full-featured (and kicks some serious butt). I use Brainspawn Forte with my custom-built rack-mount PC for all of my racks/sets. It does take a significant amount of prep time per song, but once done, I can reset my entire rig (virtual and physical) with one button push between songs. It is not uncommon for me up to 20 zones across two controllers controlling both physical and virtual instruments with customized CC transformations for a single song. For about half of my live set, the Fantom X is set to a performance that is just a single channel (channel 1) across the entire keyboard range, and then I simply do all of the routing/transforms/etc.... in Forte.

I still may have to figure out if I can script a conversion between most of my custom PCM patches from the Fantom to the FA, but something tells me that starting from scratch may be a better call.

thanks again everyone!

Eyekahn
Skijumptoes

Re: Fantom X to FA Transition

Post by Skijumptoes »

If you'll use the FA mainly for synth sounds then hands down you will see a big improvement vs the Fantom, and that includes the new(er) SN-S engine for editing, it's very slick.