Fa 06 to JD-XA

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Simonpech

Fa 06 to JD-XA

Post by Simonpech »

Hey, does anyone knows how to connect Fa-06 to JD-XA and make them work together ??..
stevel

Re: Fa 06 to JD-XA

Post by stevel »

Define "work together". What do you want them to do?

You can plug a MIDI Cable out of the FA and in to the JD, and then when you play a key on the FA it will trigger both the sound from the FA (if Local Control is on) and a sound from the JD.

You could the reverse as well, using the JD to play sounds in the FA.

That's sort of the simplest connection for getting one to tell the other what to do, thus "working together" on a real simple level.

One could have much more control over the sound in the other keyboard depending on what parameters can be sent and received on each. For example, you could press a favorite button on the FA and have it change not only the sound on the FA but the JD as well (assuming they both support this functionality).

But it really depends on what you want to do with them.
Simonpech

Post by Simonpech »

I want for example, to use the drums and pads on the Fa 06 while at the same time my JD XA plays parts to the tempo's rythem... and that they will both in sync with each other...
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Midi cable, and I guess have the FA as the tempo master and the JD as the slave... The JD can be used in midi mode to change synth parameters on the FA which is pretty neat, and beats trying to program FA sounds via its menu.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Myrk - can the JD do this across different parts also? I ask as i know it's SysEx for a lot of those controls, which are specific for each part/channel number.
Simonpech

Post by Simonpech »

Yes,... but please can you explain to me how do i do all these things with the "master" and "slave" ect.... ??
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

My understanding is that you can just set a parts midi channel as the send channel of the JD (9-16), then you can utilize the entire control system of the JD-XA to program the synths you have on the FA. Jamie from SynthGraphics pointed this one out a while back, and how good the pairing of these 2 synths is because of it. One of the JD-XA's best features is midi control mode, however it doesn't change the lighting for what is and isn't controllable when externally controlling, so best you have the edit display up on the FA when using it.

Simonpech - read the manuals. I can't retype them all! Start with researching the master/slave aspect, then midi clock, then look at cc controls (and the numbers they send out, check a midi implementation manual - ignore the sysex pages, they are useless for 99% of people). The XA's control surface is basically a cc panel bolted to the synth, which in midi control mode points outwards from itself. Most cc commands tend to be universal, but not always. You'll need 2 midi cables to do this as well. I cannot stress how important it is to read the entire manual - stick it by your bedside and read a bit each night, or a couple of pages before you get on your synth, and you'll learn so much each day which will inspire your music, but it takes a lot of learning - tutorials will only get you so far - learn how to fish ;)