Something I just discovered about Synth Legends

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stevel

Something I just discovered about Synth Legends

Post by stevel »

I loaded Synth Legends Pure on to my FA some time ago and enjoy the sounds.

Even though they're named Juno, and Jupiter, and D-50 and so on, I had no idea if these were just merely reproductions of the sounds of those instruments, or similar to patches that could be created on them or what. There are also some factory default sounds with these names as well, and I figured roughly the same.

So last night I was just scouring around the interwebs, and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf_bb6BZxVM

This is the original instrument and is factory patches being compared to a new Jupiter with the Synth Legends sounds.

If you watch the videos, you'll hear that the new versions are pretty accurate recreations (sometimes identical as far as I'm concerned) of the sounds from the original instrument.

And here's the thing - I pulled up my D-50 Synth Legends sounds and THEY'RE EXACTLY THE SAME as well!!!

I had no idea these things were "factory" patches, so, essentially, Synth Legends (or SLP) gives you many of the factory presets of the SH, TB, Juno, Jupiter, and D-50 instruments.

This to me makes this set of sounds that much more wonderful as Roland is essentially giving you a decent portion of some of their classic instruments in accurate reproductions!

Just one more reason for me to like the FA that much more.

I suppose it also means that if the basic waveforms are there, one should theoretically be able to edit the Factory or SLP sounds to be able to make the same kinds of sounds one could get out of, say, a Juno when editing it. I don't have the originals to compare to (or know the sounds well enough) but this is pretty cool to me.
Skijumptoes

Re: Something I just discovered about Synth Legends

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah, i presumed this was well known, when i first played the D50 Patches, it sent shivers through me, they're so iconic some of those sounds, and well, the FA plays them so bright and clear and airy it sounds just as good to my ears.

I think the big issue with the Juno sound are those two choruses, i've not tried to get close with the FA, but knowing how the chorus sounds on it, miles apart to my ears.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Skijumptoes wrote:Ah, i presumed this was well known, when i first played the D50 Patches, it sent shivers through me, they're so iconic some of those sounds, and well, the FA plays them so bright and clear and airy it sounds just as good to my ears.
Unfortunately - as primarily a guitarist - I've not owned many synths.

I still have my D5 which I bought new.

My university had a D-110 and a Yamaha SY77.

My fried growing up had one of those early Kawai's and my school had an ARP 2600.

My next purchase was a Sound Canvas, probably around the mid to late 90s. Still have that too.

Then it was my FA-06.

My university has TX-80s, Korg M1Rs, Fantom racks and Motif racks, as well as a couple of Little Phattys.

Do aside from videos, and the few encounters I've had with someone who had a DX7 or a JV 1080, that's about the sum total of my experience with synth sounds.

For the rest, when the patch says "Ob" or "P5" that's essentially the only sounds I know and I assume those sounds may or may not represent real patches on the original.

So yeah, that the SLP represents real patches from real instruments I always would have like to have had but could never possibly afford (or put the time into at the time they were out) these are a real bonus to me!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah i listen to primarily guitar music, but for some reason when it comes to making music i like to use Synths, which is weird - but it sparks some geeky part of me i think turning those knobs and making things happen - that, or i'm just to damn tired to pick guitar up, tune it, plug it in, and then move my arms to fast! :)

I found out something cool too, which is probably known, but if you use a sustain pedal on the Haprischord sounds, when you release it actually makes a release noise! lol

As for the prefixes, have you ever wondered what NR means? Probably something obvious, but i can't work it out! :)
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

Hi,

arent the NR ones from the Nightlife Remix collection? :)
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ohh!! You could be right, thanks :)
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

The synth legends probably 70% of the sounds are good reproductions of the originals but not 100% perfect, in a mix you wouldn't tell the difference. I found the D50 sounds to be the weakest, whilst some were accurate there are other patches like "Soundtrack" which sound nothing like the original, you won't be able to program or re-create patches as you would do in the original as not all the waveforms specifically in the D50 are there. Complex patches such as "Intruder" and some of the others can't be recreated.