Help with Mondo Poly from Roland D-70

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
AnalogHero

Help with Mondo Poly from Roland D-70

Post by AnalogHero »

Hi,

im trying to recreate the Mondo Poly patch from the D70. Im getting nowhere close. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any presets coming close?

Here is a youtube link https://youtu.be/90QpZ3Fokas
stevel

Re: Help with Mondo Poly from Roland D-70

Post by stevel »

Well I hear a couple of things going on in the video you posted.

I'm not sure what causes the change in sound - could be a foot controller, or just velocity sensitive patch, etc.

I hear an "Organ-Like" and "Recorder-Like" sound at the beginning.

Then something happens and it becomes more "sizzly", like a Synth String sound or that the filter just opens up.

To make an example of what I'm talking about, go to an empty Studio Set and put in:

Part 1: Ob Strings 2 (SN-S 26)
Part 2: pp Harmonium (PCMS 399)
Part 3: Flute 2080 (PCMS 436)

Turn on the keyboard switch for all.

Now go back to Part 1, making sure it's selected and turn down the Matrix 1 Knob (Cutoff) to turn down the filter on Part 1, the strings sound.

As you turn it down the string sound should essentially disappear.

When you turn the cutoff back up again, you'll hear the strings come in and even overtake the other two sounds eventually, not unlike what is heard in the video.

Now, some string patches when played softly will be "mellow" with the cutoff kind of low anyway, and when you play harder (higher velocity) you'll get more "sizzle" so you could do that without touching the knob at all.

If you use OB Strings 1, (set the cutoff back to neutral) and play very lightly then play hard, you'll see what I mean - you sort of can control how much strings are mixed in with how hard you play.

So it would be a matter of finding the patches that sound right, and respond like you want, and then balancing them all together.

Hope that helps.

Steve
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

Thanks alot.

This gets really close in the first part, but when the filter opens not that close. It lacks the bell and the roughness.
Ive found out that the original preset consits of
a87 Lite Bell 1
a88 Polysyn
a88 Polysyn (detuned)
a88 Polysyn (transposed one octave and not 100 % volume)
Reverb: Hall 2
Velocity controls Cutoff
Aftertouch controls Cutoff und Vibrato

Intresting that there isnt any flute or organ sound.
stevel

Post by stevel »

AnalogHero wrote:Thanks alot.

This gets really close in the first part, but when the filter opens not that close. It lacks the bell and the roughness.
Ive found out that the original preset consits of
a87 Lite Bell 1
a88 Polysyn
a88 Polysyn (detuned)
a88 Polysyn (transposed one octave and not 100 % volume)
Reverb: Hall 2
Velocity controls Cutoff
Aftertouch controls Cutoff und Vibrato

Intresting that there isnt any flute or organ sound.
True, but my experience with my few Roland synths over the years (and I have D-5) is that there is a "sameness of sound" to a lot of the sounds. A lot of sounds have an "organ-like" quality to them, and the flutey-ness may be due to them using Sine waves to construct said Organ tones and/or Flute tones.

I'll play a patch on the FA or my older Sound Canvas and still hear what essentially sounds like the same "ideas" from my still older D-5 - which does these "bell" sounds, "pan flute" type sounds, and "organ" type sounds (and the other is the synth/string type sounds).

IOW, I think that those same waveforms that are so evident in the organ patches are also used in a lot of other patches - so even if the resulting patch sounds like strings or synth, it sometimes still has this "fundamental" organ-like or flute-like kind of sound to it to my ears.
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

I tried everything to recreate it the original way ie using 3 layers of a synbrass and a bell. I even found the layers seperate, played one after one. But i failed. So i created it by ear. The result is pretty close imo.

The user SNS Bell is the only thing i need to create. I used a bellpad as start and adjusted the sustain and release to be short.
Attachments
IMG_20170717_195206.jpg
IMG_20170717_195206.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 966 times