MIDI Guru Wanted

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
SimonD

MIDI Guru Wanted

Post by SimonD »

Hello All - First time poster here.

Looking for a little help and advice please.

I am currently using a foot controller connected to a Behringer BCF2000 to step through pre programmed lighting sequences saved on my laptop. It took me a little while to get it to work because I had to figure out a way that the foot-switch ON signal would be sent but don't want it to send the OFF command because the lighting software would interpret that as extra step forward in the lighting sequence.

So, I'm looking to find a way of using my FA-06 as the MIDI interface between the footswitch and my laptop to save me needing to use the BCF2000.

Basically, I can connect the footswitch to either of the CTRL sockets and the USB out to my laptop and it works fine. Except, the lighting software is jumping forward 2 or 4 steps depending on how I configure the keyboard. I really want to only send a MIDI command when I press the footswitch and do nothing when the switch is released.
The lighting software has a LEARN function so I can send it any command that I like - I've just been using a NOTE ON at 127 and I send a different note command when I release the foot switch which the laptop ignores.

So, anyone have any ideas how I can do this please?

The lighting software is MyDMX2.1

Thank you

S
stevel

Re: MIDI Guru Wanted

Post by stevel »

The one thing you didn't mention is what kind of footswitch it is.

The FA does have an "increment" function you can assign to the footswitch that will move certain things up 1 value. Now, weather you can have the FA pass that message without affecting itself is a question.

It sounds like the footswitch is sending 2 messages - one for press and one for release - like a hold pedal.

I think what you may need is a programmable MIDI footswitch instead.
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

Thank you for your reply Stevel

The pedal is indeed a hold pedal and sends an on and off command on each cycle.

I have been able to assign the off command to a different note or CC when using through my BCF2000 which the lighting software ignores because it can only learn one MIDI command per function. .

MY hope is that I can somehow make a similar configuration via the FA and save me having to use the BCF2000.

S
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

You're going to need a MIDI filter on your laptop. I don't not believe the FA has the ability to filter the message.

I do something similar in Mainstage, and I tell Mainstage to only accept the "127" to trigger a piece of outboard video gear.

I know some people who use a program called MIDI-OX
eyekahn

Post by eyekahn »

Since it appears you are using a WIndows OS, I would reccomend using Brainspawn Forte Performer with some kind of virtual midi cable (loopmidi works well for this). This way you can set up the 'set list' of scenes for MyDMX and then organize your sets ahead of time for the whole night. In fact, then using the optional 'echo' plugin, you could drive changing studio sets at the appropriate time on the FA. I've used this approach with success on my rig, however now that I have a live person running the scenes remotely for our lighting software, I've removed the lighting integration from my virtual racks. I do however drive all my performance changes on my Fantom X with Forte and Echo
SimonD

Post by SimonD »

Thank you for your replies. I'll look into your suggestions.