Help with tweaking a lead tone

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
breaksoap

Help with tweaking a lead tone

Post by breaksoap »

I am trying to add the effect you get when pushing the mod wheel up, just want that permanently without having to use my left hand keeping it up. Couldnt find anything in the MFX or TFX lists. Is this effect just called modulation? :/ Does anyone know how this can be done? For infos sake it is a sound from the synth lead list.
bennyseven

Re: Help with tweaking a lead tone

Post by bennyseven »

Best is to use LFO modulation. You'll find it in the TONE EDIT menus. Set SHAPE to SIN waveform and play with RATE and DEPTH to get the effect as you like. For DEPTH you can use PITCH DEPTH or AMP DEPTH, depending on what you lke to modulate (SN-S sounds in this case).
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yes, it's modulation, and by default the S1 button is set to modulation ON (i.e. 100% pressed). So when enabled it will be just like holding your left hand up, and when disabled it will be as you have it now.

If for any reason S1 isn't set to Modulation then you can re-set it by holding shift and press S1 and you can change it to be modulation (or whatever else you choose) via the main screen.

If you aren't aware the S1/S2 buttons are just above your pitch/mod wheel.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

very good idea, skyjumptoes!
breaksoap

Post by breaksoap »

Thank both of you. The shift+S1 menu worked! Though another problem appeared. When I use joystick for changing pitch and accidently moves it just a tiny bit up the mod effect cancels as the pitch joystick comes down again. Is there a way to remove the mod effect from the joystick? The shift trick didnt work :(
stevel

Post by stevel »

breaksoap wrote:Thank both of you. The shift+S1 menu worked! Though another problem appeared. When I use joystick for changing pitch and accidently moves it just a tiny bit up the mod effect cancels as the pitch joystick comes down again. Is there a way to remove the mod effect from the joystick? The shift trick didnt work :(
Be more careful about how you move the joystick?

I've read a little online that there are some failures from vigorous use!!!

However, you can go into "Studio Common" to the "Control Sw" tab and turn off the purple "Mod" box for whatever parts you don't want to be affected by the lever. The S1 button will still work if you do it this way.