Part View Equalizer Question

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BlakeL50

Part View Equalizer Question

Post by BlakeL50 »

So I'm EQing some parts for a song that I've been working on and am wondering exactly how this equalizer is set up. I couldn't find any info in the reference manual, so maybe somebody here knows.

There are three bands of EQ in the part view section, low mid and high. Are they all bell curves? My gut tells me the low and high would be shelf filters or pass filters, and my ear seems to confirm this, but I'd like to know for certain. Thanks <3
stevel

Re: Part View Equalizer Question

Post by stevel »

I can't tell you for sure but very often the Low and High are Shelving EQs in this kind of format.

It could be a Peak EQ (bell curve) but kind of atypical for this application (but we are dealing with Roland here...).

The mid appears to be Peak EQ and fully parametric (at least, that would be the common assumption).

Traditionally, Filters only attenuate sound (and are thus "pass" filters) rather than both boost and cut, though a lot of modern DAWs using things they call "Filters" that both boost and cut (not talking about resonance boosts here). I've not hear the word "shelf filter" before and would call that incorrect, but again, some DAWs may certainly be using such terminology.

But I wouldn't assume them to be any kind of filters in this context. Shelving EQs is most typical, and your "ear instinct" is probably right, barring any further spec confirmation from anyone else.

HTH
Steve
BlakeL50

Post by BlakeL50 »

Thanks. I always thought of an EQ as filtering out certain frequencies but then again I'm not a smart. Still it's such an amazing keyboard. I only wish they would put more details in the parameter guide, I find my self turning the dials on its compressors the wrong way half the time :/
stevel

Post by stevel »

BlakeL50 wrote:Thanks. I always thought of an EQ as filtering out certain frequencies but then again I'm not a smart. Still it's such an amazing keyboard. I only wish they would put more details in the parameter guide, I find my self turning the dials on its compressors the wrong way half the time :/
Well, I think you're chasing your tail on this one - I mean, it is what it is right? You want less lows, you've got this EQ that you can turn down the low frequencies with and that's pretty much it. So it kind of doesn't really matter what type it is, it is basically all you have you can use (there is an MFX EQ but the same concept would apply).

I'd say go with your gut and your ear - turn the bass down if it's too high, and don't worry about how it fixes it, just if it fixes it!

Enjoy,
Steve