Studio Part edits not working

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
digitiki

Studio Part edits not working

Post by digitiki »

This may be something stupid I'm not doing, but I'm trying to make simple edits to Parts in a Studio Set. I'm simply trying to apply key range to certain parts (to allow multiple sounds at different octaves). Plus, I'm trying to set the EQ on a particular part. I go into Part View and scroll over to the settings I wish to change, I change them and nothing happens! EQ, Keyrange (upper and lower)--no matter what I set these to, there is no change. I tried writing the Studio just to be sure. My custom settings still show in the Part View, but they aren't doing anything.

For example, I set two Parts to to have an upper key range end at middle C and nothing above that. Yet when I play the keyboard, they play through the whole range. Same with EQ, I set the high freq and roll it off--no difference in the way the part sounds.

Is there something I'm missing? This seems like it should be pretty straight forward, but its confounding me and driving me NUTS!!
stevel

Re: Studio Part edits not working

Post by stevel »

Are you plugged into a DAW? How are you monitoring?

I would suggest unplugging the FA from everything and just listening through Headphones to see if it's doing it then. That eliminates any external issues and at least narrows it down to an internal setting.
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

Right now as I'm editing, I'm using the keyboard itself. Ultimately I will be using it combination with an 88 key controller.

I did discover that in the Part View, under the Keyboard section, the "KBD" has to be turned on (little yellow dot) for the changes to be heard when playing the built in keyboard on FA-06. This is strange, not sure why. Frustrating.
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

digitiki wrote: This is strange, not sure why. Frustrating.
No, it's not. How would the Studio Set otherwise "know" which parts should be played? By turning the KBD switch on/off the FA "knows"! If you always play only one sound in a SS, it is not a problem.
AnalogHero

Post by AnalogHero »

Hi,

you also need to turn on the EQ for each part you want to use it. Its the Sw knob after the part number on the EQ page.
Radon_22

Post by Radon_22 »

Paul99 wrote:
No, it's not. How would the Studio Set otherwise "know" which parts should be played? By turning the KBD switch on/off the FA "knows"! If you always play only one sound in a SS, it is not a problem.
I get where he's coming from. Prior Roland devices I've had haven't operated in the same way. Once you get used to it, you won't give it a second thought!
digitiki

Post by digitiki »

Paul99 wrote:
It is strange. All I need to do is scroll down in Part View and I can play it on the kayboard. The ONLY difference is when the KBD switch is on, the various parameters for each Part are functional. So experiencing a Part that plays but its parameters are unchangeable is confusing. It may seem logical to some, but for me- it seems logical that when you change a parameter in a Part of a Studio, it should do something unless you have that Part completely turned off and it shows on the screen as greyed out.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Yeah that threw me for a while and still does sometimes.