Volume to Sound Modify Knobs?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Radon_22

Volume to Sound Modify Knobs?

Post by Radon_22 »

So I bit the bullet and grabbed a FA-07 to replace a Fantom X7. There's a lot to like about it, and a few disappointments.

About 90% of my play is live, with layers. The Fantom had the ability to modify the volume of the first 4 parts using the parameter knobs in "mixer mode". Is there a way to assign volume for different instruments to the knobs on the FA?
stevel

Re: Volume to Sound Modify Knobs?

Post by stevel »

I don't believe so.

You can absolutely put CC7 (Volume) or CC11 (Expression) on the Sound Modify Knobs (the "assign" row in the matrix).

Press and hold Shift and turn the first knob (while it's on the assign row) and a screen comes up allowing you to choose the CC# it affects.

However, this only goes for the active part (Part 1 by default).

I suppose, in theory, you could use the Keyboard Switch groups like so:

Set up 4 parts to play with their keyboard switches on.

Set up 4 keyboard groups with all 4 of them on (so duplicates) but with the Active Part different in each one.

Then go through and assign Knob 1 to CC7 for Part 1, and Knob 2 for CC7 - it'll be in the active part but if that's Part 2 that's what it will affect.

So you should in theory be able to press the pad select the group that has the active part you want to modify this way.

At best, a work around.

But I don't think there's anyway to assign knob 2 to Part 2 for example - only the active part (so you could just use Knob 1 to do volume on any active part).

But being able to "mix in" strings with a Piano part and then fade out the Piano while the strings stay or something isn't going to work with just turning the knobs AFAICT.