FA06/07/08 Organ Drawbars

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
diego

FA06/07/08 Organ Drawbars

Post by diego »

Hi all,

Something I miss from the previous BK-9 I had are the draw bars, which are missing. Two solutions:

1 - special hardware
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVpHTSnNvc
Unfortunately - they are no longer sold: http://oceanbeachdigital.com/
(other cheaper alternatives...?)

2 - Using the assignable knobs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uHrQtf95s0
Second.. is to create 2-3 sounds of B3Jazz organ, with different drawbars settings, and the assign C21-C23 to modify each part of the patchset using the assignable knobs.

The following video (not mine) describes how to do this in length. I did this with 3 parts, and modified the S1 button from momentary to latch to have a better experience.

Still I have yet found a way to create this sound:
https://ruclip.com/video/ht9R3udud_4/ha ... fa-08.html

I installed from axial extension #2 and quite frankly all organ sounds... just sound bad, too much low frequencies and too much reverb. Anyone has found out what that guy is doing exactly...?
Paul99

Re: FA06/07/08 Organ Drawbars

Post by Paul99 »

I had also difficulties finding that particular sound in the EXP-02. So I asked him, but he didn't remember. He only knew for certain he used a standard sound without any external effects.
After doing some searching again, I found it, at least I guess: it is 0081 Harm.Organ. So why does it sound different from the video? Well, I guess you hear him playing over a speaker system which could make it sound better. Also: he is using a swell pedal and that also makes a difference.

I recognize your reaction regarding the organ sounds of the FA. But you have to remember the FA is NOT an organ. It is a multi instrumental synth that doesn't shine in any discipline, but is a very good all round machine. It has overall good sounds, not fantastic ones. What would you expect from a machine that is less than 1000 euro/dollar? You want a acoustic/electric piano? Buy a real piano. The same for organ and synth sounds. But realize this: no piano nor organ is as versatile as the FA.
So in that perspective, the organ sounds are not bad at all....if....and only if...you consider it not to be a replacement of a true hammond organ.
I am now working on a multi parts organ sound, so combining two or even three organs. And that is working better, although with the restrictions I already made: it's never gonna be a hammond!
Also, when playing in a band, you can probably not hear any difference when the organ is mixed IN the sound, not on top of it. When used as a solo instrument, it will probably fail.
In my band the organ sound is just a part of the song, not a main thing. I can tell you my band mates like my organ sounds.
If you really want to make the organs sound any better, try a GSI Burn or a Neo Ventilator. That will polish your sound very much. Just hear the demo's on youtube.

Hope this helps!
Candy

Post by Candy »

MD FA-06.jpg
MD FA-06.jpg (123.73 KiB) Viewed 2284 times
Look at this (you need Midi Designer for iPad): http://mididesigner.com/qa/3093/roland- ... nth-editor

Candy
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

I recently got my FA-08 and was also experimenting with the SN-Organ. I finally found that the [VK-Rotary] of the IFX sounds best. However NO control of slow/fast with MIDI-CC, real pain. Shifting the rotary to the IFX allows the usage of [EP->Chorus] as MFX of the part to render a nice 'aging' of the sound (Amp-Simulation+Speaker, Chorus off or very low depth).

Experimentally I switched off the 'Expression' reception for the organ part and use the pedal to control treble- and bass-amount of the MFX (up to +3dB each). This gives much better control for the character of the tone than a linear volume increase/decrease can do.
Aldan

Post by Aldan »

Try Android app Aldan Drawbar and OverDrive Controller
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=52446&p=296590&hilit=Aldan#p296590
diego

Post by diego »

0081 Harm.Organ - thats the one. Seems simple, but is not dull, and cuts off very nice in a mix.You cannot really play chords on octave #2 or bellow, solos on #4 or above work if you increase the volume.

Actually very happy with that sound. Very recommended.
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

diego wrote:0081 Harm.Organ - thats the one.
Hehe, I told you. ;-)
I use this patch as a base in conjunction with other organ sounds to build more Hammond like patches. Since the FA is about 1000 voices or so, using 2 or 3 patches is not a problem. ;-)
diego

Post by diego »

Please do share - which sounds do you layer on top/bottom? That sound alone is *nice*... and I see on that video that the dud changes the sound at 0:18...

https://youtu.be/ht9R3udud_4?t=15s

I am also using a lot the trick I explained above with the knobs to modify the sound (see video and implement yourself it will change the way you play). I was using BK-9 before, and man, I wish I had them draw-bars now.

Again - if someone has "cheap" HW to emulate this (I need to feel them, no on screen display please) - please link/
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

Wow, very good eyes you have! And you are right: he is changing to an other patch! I didn't notice and he didn't respond that. He told me it was just one patch. But listening again and closer I can hear the change in sound: the first is with a different color and has more reverb and so it has to be an other patch. The second is definitely "our" 0081 Harm.Organ.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

diego wrote:Again - if someone has "cheap" HW to emulate this (I need to feel them, no on screen display please) - please link/
Novation and M-Audio Midi controllers usually support SysEx, you could try and pick up a Novation SL Zero on the cheap second hand and map directly to the drawbars using SysEx.

Other than that, if you're using computer then you can map any 9 fader Midi 'CC' controller to a plugin which will translate the correct SysEx to the FA, i.e. using CTRLR.