Can Sequencer record sound modify knobs changes?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
oldkeyboardplay

Can Sequencer record sound modify knobs changes?

Post by oldkeyboardplay »

Hi all..i am new here :)
I am attracted from the Roland FA07 and i am wondering the following:

say that i am recording a single track in the internal roland fa07 sequencer using the "JP8 strings1"..well
if i turn left/right the "sound modify knobs" exactly like in this frame (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dw-Xy2 ... tu.be&t=66 still while i am recording,
Will this information be recorded into the sequencer track ?
i mean, after finished recording, hearing the recorded track, will i hear the effects of the turned knobs during the recording session ?

thanks in advance..
bye.
Lunar

Re: Can Sequencer record sound modify knobs changes?

Post by Lunar »

Yes, it will. The sequencer has full automation, so any action with the modify knobs, switches, pedals and/or D-beam are recorded as MIDI CC data. That includes cutoff/resonance, levels, panning, effects, pretty much the lot. If it's not to your liking, you can erase just the CC data in the sequencer and re-record it over the track. Hope this helps.
oldkeyboardplay

Really thanks for your info Lunar ! :-)
very complete and useful for me..
..i am wondering:
Even also pads samples are recorded into sequencer?
I mean:
If i am recording a track with a selected sound,
and i touch pad button associated to one sample (assigned previously ), will this pad sample be recorded
inside sequencer track at that timestamp i have touched it?
And so after listening to the recorded track it will be playback at that timestamp?
I know it is not a midi event..
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

Glad I could help out. As far as the sample pads go, the sample itself isn't recorded into the sequencer, only the event of the pad being pressed. (You need to have a track set up to record PAD, not MIDI - track 16 is setup like this by default in the sequencer) But yes, when you play the song back in the sequencer it will register the pad being pressed at that point in the sequence and trigger the sample. Up to four pads can be used simultaneously. However the pad needs to be recorded on it's own track, so if you are recording a keyboard part on another track the pad won't record with it, it has to be done separately.
For more accurate timing, you can play the sample pads from the lowest 16 keys on the keyboard (each key corresponds to the pads in the currently selected pad bank) and use microscope edit in the sequencer to move the event exactly where you need it. Using this method you can also change the velocity of the key being pressed so the sample sits a bit better in the mix during playback, as the pads aren't velocity sensitive. Still only four-note polyphony though.
To be honest, the sampler in the FA isn't it's strongest point, but for one-shots and loops it gets the job done.
oldkeyboardplay

hi Lunar :)
again i really thank you for your exhaustive explanation!! :))
you have been very clear specifing detailed functions and i think all you have wrote is valuable and pretty interesting also to many other Roland users.

Bye.