Question on using Pads to Mute Parts

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
MIDI_1984

Question on using Pads to Mute Parts

Post by MIDI_1984 »

Disclaimer, I don't have an FA yet:

Does the Part Mute function via the Pads just mute the MIDI playing that part, or does it mute the entire sound so that you can't even play it on the keyboard.

For example, if I have a sequenced song playing and I want to manually play a sequenced part during a performance, will I be able to just hit the Mute Part pad for that one part and be able to play along (assuming I've got the correct Part selected to play on the keyboard).

If the Part Mute function does not let me do this, is there a different way to accomplish this?

Thanks.
MIDI_1984

Re: Question on using Pads to Mute Parts

Post by MIDI_1984 »

In the manual, it says "When playing a song, you can mute (silence) the performance of a specific part." (see attachment)

I am assuming this means that it just mutes the MIDI to stop the notes from being played by the sequencer, while at the same time, you could still play "Scat Flute" (as per attachment) on part 1 via the keyboard.

I'd check this myself but I don't have easy access to an FA-0x. Can someone quickly verify this for me please?

Thanks again.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 7.12.55 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-31 at 7.12.55 AM.png (358.5 KiB) Viewed 789 times
cda

Post by cda »

When you mute using the pads, playing the muted part from the keys is not possible.
MIDI_1984

Post by MIDI_1984 »

Thanks for your response cda.

I guess the only ways around this is to have a different copy of the song for live performances where the part is not sequenced, or if I have an empty part, I could put the same sound there and mute the other sequenced part.

That is unless someone else has a better solution.
stevel

Post by stevel »

MIDI_1984 wrote:Thanks for your response cda.

I guess the only ways around this is to have a different copy of the song for live performances where the part is not sequenced, or if I have an empty part, I could put the same sound there and mute the other sequenced part.

That is unless someone else has a better solution.
No that's what I did - used an empty track on the sequence.

For example, I have a Piano sound on Part 1, and then all the other sounds I need on the other Parts, but the Sequence itself only has information on Tracks 2 - 16.

So I play the Piano live from Part 1, while the sequencer handles the rest.

I have one song where the sequencer actually does play the piano sound on part 1 - but then when I play the part live, it's just empty on that part of the track.

So I play the piano intro, then switch to guitar, and the sequencer picks up the song on the same track.

With the new keyboard groups feature you can actually get pretty elaborate with this.

But yeah, if you have some situations where you want the keyboard part to be sequenced, and others where it would need to be played live, you'd need to use two tracks and two parts set up with the same sound, and just mute the track it's sequenced on when playing the live one (on a different part).
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

It's worth noting that pad mute will literarily mute the audio channel for that part - i.e. ALL audio from it.

This means that the sound (And related midi) is still being processed by the FA and thus IS still using an allocation of the max voices available to you.

Play a part with a long release while muted, let go of the keys and then unmute, and you will see what i mean.