Bring 2nd tone with velocity

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
diego

Bring 2nd tone with velocity

Post by diego »

I want to have a patch that plays piano, and when I start getting into the crescendo of the song, a pad will also be heard (or strings.. or whatever). I want to do this by pressing harder on the keybed.

Is this possible?

Two other options:
1 - Put the device on dual tone, and then increase/decrease the sound of the pad with the #6 knob.
2 - Enable/disable the 2nd tone using the sampler buttons (or virtual sampler buttons in V2, like this feature).
Skijumptoes

Re: Bring 2nd tone with velocity

Post by Skijumptoes »

You can do this with a studio set, you have velocity ranges for each part and you can set the min/max velocity for a part to play.

In the part view you scroll across to the 'Keyboard' tab, and then ensure that both parts have 'KBD' enabled so that they play together obviously.

Then, from the top of my head, there are two columns 'VL' and 'VU' (Velocity Lower/Upper), just raise Part 2's VL value to suit the minimum velocity for it to trigger.

I love the velocity layering as you can hit accidental triggers and it really adds an element of character to the playing. Timpani's in the lower octaves on harder hits sound lovely. :)

There's also velocity fade parameters too, which will fade a part based on velocity rather than an off/on concept.
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

"1 - Put the device on dual tone, and then increase/decrease the sound of the pad with the #6 knob."

* or use a volume pedal if you need both hands to play
stevel

Post by stevel »

diego wrote:I want to have a patch that plays piano, and when I start getting into the crescendo of the song, a pad will also be heard (or strings.. or whatever). I want to do this by pressing harder on the keybed.

Is this possible?

Two other options:
1 - Put the device on dual tone, and then increase/decrease the sound of the pad with the #6 knob.
2 - Enable/disable the 2nd tone using the sampler buttons (or virtual sampler buttons in V2, like this feature).

Diego, both of these are possible as are the two responses you've gotten already - lots of ways to skin this cat!

Just depends on what effect you want, or how you need to be able to play it - but yeah, definitely as Skijumptoes points out, the Velocity Upper and Lower limits (and Fade settings) will allow you to restrict one Part to a specific Velocity range so it only sounds when you play within that range.