Expression Pedal Woes

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BlakeL50

Expression Pedal Woes

Post by BlakeL50 »

So I love this keyboard, but as far as expression pedals go I've been running into this issue where the recommended pedals for this keyboard just pound dirt. The first pedal I tried was the BOSS FV-500L and it had a huge gap at the toe where the pedal was already maxed at 127, and the range where it would sweep the values just jump by 50 at a time - ridiculous.
So I ordered the recommended expression pedal (EV-5) because obviously my other one functioned as a latching switch as opposed to an expression pedal. So - same damn issue. Just as bad if not worse. What the hell Roland?! Well by this point I'm at a loss. I've tried multiple pedals, I've tried dialing them in with the potentiometers, but they are absolutely god awful and frustrating to use. Can we calibrate the expression pedals on these keyboards? Any pedals that have a wide sweep heel to toe that are well built and compatible? Somebody save me.
Jdoo

Re: Expression Pedal Woes

Post by Jdoo »

I've used a Moog EP-3 successfully with my FA-06. I never had luck with a Roland EV-5 with my FA. IIRC - it was too touchy, when mapped to Filter cutoff (which is what I wanted to use it for). I ended up moving my EP-3 off the FA-06 - and using it with my OB-6 (Filter), and picked up another EP-3, which I use with my JD-XA. Maybe I had a dud EV-5, or they're meant to be used solely for volume? That's what the Roland documentation seems to infer. In any case, my EV-5 is collecting dust under a desk. So.. in my experience, the Moog EP-3 has been a great expression pedal. The EV-5... not so much.

Joe
BlakeL50

Post by BlakeL50 »

Touchy is definitely my experience with the EV-5. I'll add the EP-3 to my list of maybes, found an old forum post about using a Yamaha pedal but I really want to get the communities consensus on what the good pedals are for this keyboard.
Liquid

Post by Liquid »

There are a few threads on this, many of us use the Yamaha FC7 with an adapter. See for example viewtopic.php?f=55&t=53788&p=302798#p302798

and

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=49919&p=300944&hil ... +7#p300944

Alan.
Radon_22

Post by Radon_22 »

I'll second that on the Moog pedal. Solid piece of kit, very smooth, and the cord is detachable. Very happy with it.