Sorting Songs or Studio Sets Alphabetically

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
pianoman41

Sorting Songs or Studio Sets Alphabetically

Post by pianoman41 »

Long time Fantom X7 owner (and gigging weekend warrior in multiple cover bands) who just recently purchased an FA-07 for live performance, as I've been looking to retire the X7 and upgrade/downsize my stage rig in the process. I'm going to have to rebuild all my setups on the X7 one at a time on the FA-07. Currently on the X7, I set up a single Performance the way I need splits and layers for each song, and then save it as a Song, since there are finite number of Performance User Memory spots but Songs are only limited by storage space (I save my most commonly used setups internally and the occasional ones on a CF card). I've got over 250 songs, and in a live performance when someone calls an audible, on the X7 I've currently got a pad shortcut mapped to the song list, and it sorts them alphabetically so I can rapidly scroll through the whole list until I find the song I want, load it, and it then sets the Performance accordingly.

On the FA-07, I'm really digging the Pad control of the Studio Sets for keyboard on/off mapping. I actually think this will allow me to gig with one board instead of two. However, I was planning on saving each song as a Studio Set, but because they are memory locations it looks like they can only be scrolled through sequentially by number and not alphabetically by name. I tried saving a Studio Set as a Song to see if I could do the same trick as I do on the X7, but when I pull up the song list to load a song, it too lists the songs sequentially by memory location rather than alphabetically by name. Is there a setting or toggle that would allow me to sort either Studio Sets (preferred) or Songs by name? Without this, I'd have to memorize the memory locations of all the songs in order to pull one up quickly, which is next to impossible. Obviously, I would use the Favorites lists like set lists that would allow me to arrange the known songs in the order we will play them, but we call audibles all the time and quickly finding a Studio Set or Song by name looks to be impossible.

Your collective help is greatly appreciated.
diego

Re: Sorting Songs or Studio Sets Alphabetically

Post by diego »

I have the same problem. For my first gig, I re-ordered the songs manually to match the gig order. For my next gig, I will copy my studio sets to 100... and then re-order. Meaning I only need to remember 100 and then move to the next studio set.
Candy

Post by Candy »

Look here, perhaps this is something you're looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49418&hilit=library

Candy
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

Candy wrote:Look here, perhaps this is something you're looking for:
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49418&hilit=library

Candy
Maybe. This looks very handy for one at a time. But if I manually reorganize 75 songs into alphabetical order and then learn a new song that would go alphabetically in position 62, I'm not sure how I can bulk move 62-75 up one to 63-76 so I can insert the new song in Studio Set 62. This doesn't seem to be able to do that.
Candy

Post by Candy »

I know, what you mean. I did it by changing the numbers in Explorer (FA/Songs/001, 002 and so on). Lot of work!

Candy
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Coming from X6 I never hat any issues with that because FA allows to rapidly change studio sets. This was a huge drawback on the fantom X, that it takes too much time to switch performances.

Now with nearly 50 studio sets for a gig I sometimes scroll through the studio set list (after pressing enter to get a scrollable list window) or with OS2 I use pad mode NUMERIC and have my setlist on a sheet or with my setlist app and I enter the digits from my list with the pads. Very easy.

My setlist maker app also supports midi commands, so I will try to control the studio set changes with that app via midi connection (with apple camera connection kit). But this is more advanced.