Midi issue with String "cutoff"

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
skiinian85

Midi issue with String "cutoff"

Post by skiinian85 »

Hey everyone, I'm new to posting on the forum, but have been reading for a while. I actually have a question though in regards to using an external midi controller with the FA06.

I'm new to using midi-controllers and just midi in general, but i've been able to figure out how to use my 88 key keyboard as a midi-controller while using the FA06 sound engine. I've been having pretty decent success until now.

I was trying to play a string part on my midi controller which I use a decent amount of sustain to create a nice smooth strings part, but unfortunately i'm getting some weird sounding behavior from the strings when pressing the sustain pedal.(honestly it sounds weird without it as well, almost like the attack is not quite right) I have tried it on the FA06 itself and don't have those issues. I have a link below to give you an idea what it sounds like as it's a bit difficult to actually explain.

Any ideas as to what is causing this or how to stop it from creating that weird swelling/cut off noise?? Thanks!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-0bV ... ERvRDRnV1k
Candy

Re: Midi issue with String "cutoff"

Post by Candy »

Did you connect both MIDI-Cables (MIDI-in to MIDI-out and MIDI-out to MIDI-in)?
Try to connect only one Cable (88 MIDI-out to FA MIDI-in)

Candy
skiinian85

Post by skiinian85 »

Well strangely enough I went to try it out again and it worked just fine. Must've been a weird glitch. Thanks for the response!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Just listened to the audio, was that via the sequencer? If so, is it possible that you had some notes already for that part? Actually sounds quite cool if this was to be a dance track! ;)
skiinian85

Post by skiinian85 »

Haha nope just was me playing and honestly I can't even recreate it. It did actually sound pretty cool if that's what I was going for haha :)
skiinian85

Post by skiinian85 »

Just wanted to update this issue with a solution in case anyone ever has the same issue.

So, after running into the issue again I have figured out what the problem was. Turned out it was a polyphony issue.

I have an external 88 key keyboard that I use with my FA06. This keyboard has a possible 4 channels per patch. When I turn on the midi I designate the 4 channels to channels 5-8 on the FA06 and then use 1-4 on the Fa06. ( I figure I won't ever need more than 8 total sounds for a studio set and this allows me to set up the midi on my 88 key keyboard at the beginning of a gig and not have to worry about touching any settings on it for the rest of the night. Basically I control everything from the FA06.) Well I was using a string patch for channel 5 and had 6,7, and 8 muted on the FA06, but even though 5,6,7 were muted they were still receiving midi information from my 88 key keyboard which meant it was still taking up polyphony through those channels .

So it was just a matter of turning off the Rx switch in the "Part View" menu for channels 5,6 and 7 and that freed up the polyphony and eliminated the "cutting off" issue.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah, that makes sense.

You need to look into the new Firmware 2.0 feature 'Keyboard Switch Groups', it will achieve what you require by enabling/disabling parts via the KBD switching, and not muting - you can save the keyboard switching setup on a studio set basis too - it's really great, and will give you much more flexibility moving forwards:-

https://www.roland.com/us/support/knowl ... 003084506/
skiinian85

Post by skiinian85 »

Yeah I actually use the switch group in one of my sets. It was the Rx switch that I forgot to turn off lol... Oops... Always learning!