FA-08 Audio Problem - Clicks/Pops & Seq. Freezes

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
synchro

FA-08 Audio Problem - Clicks/Pops & Seq. Freezes

Post by synchro »

Hello All,

Have had my FA-08 for about two years now. Although it froze in sequencing once or twice the first year, it has been pretty reliable up until lately.

Now, I’m getting consistent clicks and pops in the audio output. It happens when plugged into an amp/mixing board via the 1/4” outputs and is also heard when using headphones. The clicks and pops occur while playing an individual program, a dual or/split and especially when sequencing. (sometimes followed by freezing) The audio out in the system menu is set to 0 dB but it clicks and pops at any audio level set.

I took it to my friends house and we plugged it into one of those fancy Furman voltage regulating power supplies but we still got the clicks and pops.

I have not done a full system reset nor have I updated the firmware. (it's running v 1.02 as shipped from the factory) I wanted to see what you guys thought first. Please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike
Joe P

Re: FA-08 Audio Problem - Clicks/Pops & Seq. Freezes

Post by Joe P »

Long shot - could it be a vinyl effect that got enabled by accident?

Joe
synchro

Re: FA-08 Audio Problem - Clicks/Pops & Seq. Freezes

Post by synchro »

Thank you for your reply.

I checked the effects. I've never really used the vinyl setting but when I checked the effects the vinyl setting was not on. It happens on patches/sequences with just plain reverb, EQ, delay, etc.

It doesn't seem to be that kind of pop. It sometimes takes a few minutes for it to happen. Sometimes about every 30 seconds or so. Very random. More like when someone flicks a light switch on a house with old wiring when your amp is hooked up.

A audio tech person I spoke with suspects the op amp. It will be a bummer to be without my beloved FA-08 for a while but I think it needs to go in for troubleshooting/repairs.

Am hoping maybe someone here has experienced the same thing and knows what it might be.