Using the FA07 to control DAW VST's

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tcastlejr

Using the FA07 to control DAW VST's

Post by tcastlejr »

Ok... Again, I'm just jumping back into the music scene so please excuse my density.

I've spent a couple hours this morning searching and reading but couldn't find this specific issue. (not really an issue)

I love my new FA07. And while there are tons of great sounds, I have some VST's that I used to use that I'd like to continue to use. So... I know I can use the FA07 as a midi controller (already have it set up and communicating perfectly fine with my computer). I think I'm missing a setting though. Is there a way to control the VST in my DAW without using the internal sounds of the FA?

Just for workflow reference, I'd be laying down a track inside of StudioOne DAW but I want to use the FA07 to play but the VST 'sound'. Am I making any sense at all?

Appreciate any help.

Tom
tcastlejr

Re: Using the FA07 to control DAW VST's

Post by tcastlejr »

So quite a few have looked at this post but no responses :(

So either:
A. The question is so stupid and elementary that nobody is bothering to answer. OR
B. This isn't possible? Or more difficult than I thought?

Tom
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Press the DAW Control button.
tcastlejr

Post by tcastlejr »

So...
"A" it was... my apologies folks.

Tom
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

No need to apologize, there are other ways that you can do it, setting MIDI channels, setting volume off on certain sounds, layering and using Pad Groups. Just keep messing around with it and read other peoples solutions , you will eventually work out most issues and sail smoothly to musical bliss.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yea DAW mode is great on the FA as you can assign multiple pages of Midi CC's to the 6 rotaries, a really great feature, particularly when you can name each page too.

One other thing, you can set local mode to off (Prevents the FA playing a tone when you press a key) via the main menu system (Think it's under the general tab from memory), and i would highly recommend this if you are recording midi into your DAW.

When you record enable a midi track in you DAW it will respond to a key press and send it immediately back to your FA (This is standard for all midi devices), so setting the FA to Local OFF while you are using Midi tracks will prevent double notes from firing (You may be doing this in error already).

So, using Midi Local Off, you can then also set up 16 midi tracks in your DAW, set to channels 1 to 16, and as you record enable each it will play the part relating to that channel too - makes navigation within a project much easier than having to cursor through parts on your FA, and you can select multiple channels at once etc.

If you're using a DAW like Logic which has great MIDI support, you can also have access to the volume, pan, reverb, chorus, attack/release parameters within the track header too, as the FA operates multi-timbrally (i.e. multiple parts/channels at once) to the MIDI standard pretty good, this is such a big bonus for the FA when used with a DAW in my opinion.

If you're only recording the FA direct to audio then disregard most of the above!! :)