Using a Leslie simulator with the FA06

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Flavorkeys

Using a Leslie simulator with the FA06

Post by Flavorkeys »

In certain cases I’d like to use my FA’s organ tones on a gig but absolutely cannot stand the rotary FX. The pure organ tones seem usable. I don’t see any auxiliary outputs to route the organ programs out to an external Leslie sim pedal so was wondering if anyone was doing this sort of thing already. Do you need to have a Leslie sim pedal with a bypass switch and send all non organ sounds thru dry? If so, does removing the rotary FX on any given organ program also remove the cabinet (tone ) simulation? Anyone using an external Leslie sim with the FA series?
Skijumptoes

Re: Using a Leslie simulator with the FA06

Post by Skijumptoes »

I've put it through a real Leslie cabinet and it sounded great, but i wanted a real big nasty rock-bias sound. So, wasn't so fussed with what cabinet emulations remained and what i was re-amping etc.

I've read quite a few people putting the FA out of the sub output (This is the second output) and into a rotary pedal with good results, i'm sure one of them will reply to help you more.

However, If you haven't got a pedal already, you could always try going through a computer/DAW Software running a Leslie plugin? And that will give you an idea of what kind of sound you could achieve?
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Skijumptoes,

I see the sub out on the back of the FA06 but it is a single jack, wonder if this is mono or is it stereo? And where exactly in the edit menu does it allow you to route a program thru the sub out ?

I was considering running the FA organ tones thru a Lester K pedal.

Yes, I have also had success with midi-ing Galileo organ app to the FA and it sounds OK but still would like to see if I can use a pedal with the FA organ tones.
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

OK, got a VERY quick response from Roland support about this so here it is for anyone else interested in this topic.

Roland Product Support (Roland Corporation)
Oct 2, 9:09 AM PDT

Hello Alan,

Yes, the sub out on the FA-06 is a stereo 1/4 inch jack. You will probably want to use an adapter - 1/4 inch stereo to two 1/4 inch mono plugs to connect this to a mixer or amplifier.

Regarding the organ program you mentioned, yes, if you route this to the sub output, it will bypass the effects in the FA-06 and you can then use external effects with it if desired. The outputs are routed in the Part View screen - press MENU, select "PART VIEW" and press ENTER. You then need to cursor to the "Output/EFX" tab at the top of the screen. You will see that there is a column labelled "Output" and you can use this to select "SUB" for the part(s) you wish to route to the Sub output.
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

I use the sub out n my FA08. Just like the Roland people told you. I use a trs male to two ts "y" cable

From there I run into an Electro Harmonix "Lester K" and to my mixer.

Works great.
lester.jpg
lester.jpg (54.06 KiB) Viewed 2155 times
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Did you need to remove/edit any of the FX chain on your organ programs or just send it to sub out as is?
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

Yes, I went in a removed the rotary and drive effects.

I also use Lester for some other sounds as well. Basically any part I want to use Lester goes to the sub out.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

I feel I should mention that when I've done this I sent it back into the FA via the audio in. Otherwise it doesn't respond to volume (but I know Escaperocks has a work wround for that! :-) )

Cheers!
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

Joe P wrote:I feel I should mention that when I've done this I sent it back into the FA via the audio in. Otherwise it doesn't respond to volume (but I know Escaperocks has a work wround for that! :-) )

Cheers!
I am curious what this solution is from Escaperocks!
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

Paul99 wrote:
Joe P wrote:I feel I should mention that when I've done this I sent it back into the FA via the audio in. Otherwise it doesn't respond to volume (but I know Escaperocks has a work wround for that! :-) )

Cheers!
I am curious what this solution is from Escaperocks!
I thought I heard my name :)

While any part assigned to sub out will not accept volume control from the FA08, it will accept volume control from an external source.

When I was doing this in my rig, I used an MOXF6 above my FA08. The MOXF was used in master mode. As such, I could assign the expression pedal from my MOXF to the part in the sub out on the FA08.

It worked great for my FA08 organ parts as I also played them from the MOXF

Lastly, the sub out thru Lester K ran stereo into my mixer in my rack.
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Cheers!
Joe, after sending the signal back into the audio in (is this input mono or stereo?) did the signal then sound thru the mains or was this purely for recording?
Gatorjohn

Post by Gatorjohn »

Yes, it will sound thru the mains.
fa06roland

Post by fa06roland »

I own a Roland FA06 owner but having owned a Hammond B3 with Leslie 122, then a Leslie Pro 900 for over 25 years in a band, I understand anyone wanting an authentic Hammond organ sound from a synth, The B3 and Leslie Cabinet were beasts to lug around and I went lightweight. I have never been particularly happy with the synth replication or emulation of an authentic Organ B3/C3 with Leslie effect. You have several choices here trying to get a good Organ sound out of the Roland. One option is to try out or buy a Mini-vent for organ, I own one, some $350.00 Canadian I believe I paid. It is quite good for slow/fast Leslie effect but will not give you the C3/V3 chorus effect of a Hammond tonewheel rock organ, it is good at fast or slow. A more costly option would be a Hammond SK2 or SK1, I replaced my B3 with the Hammond SK2 and I love it. Another option is the Roland VR-09 which has C3/V3 and drawbars, from what I have seen on Youtube, it is lightweight and sounds pretty good to my ear. There are also VST's on the web which will do a pretty good job on emulating a Hammond B3. It will be a matter of fiddling with the organ libraries on the Roland to where you like it, buying a unit or pedal on the market or getting a keyboard which actually does a good rock organ job like a Nord, Hammond, Roland, Yamaha, Korg Kronos and Korg M3 both have drawbars. Good luck !