Increasing Piano Release Time

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
vkinetic

Increasing Piano Release Time

Post by vkinetic »

I'm trying to emulate U2's New Years Day piano sound on my FA-06 - I've almost got it but I just want to increase the release time of the piano parts (I'm using two Rock Piano parts one slightly detuned in a studio set). It looks like there is no control over the envelope of the piano sound available (as far as I can see) and increasing the offset for release in the Part View has no effect. I thought about perhaps assigning one of the switches to release time but being a bit of a keyboard novice I am starting to get lost. Seems like such a simple thing is a very complicated (if possible at all) thing. I do have an FS-5U footswitch that I could press into service but being mainly a guitarist I want to avoid having to look for a footswitch in the middle of performance when switching to and from keyboards/guitar.

Can anyone help or give some suggestions?

Thanks

keith
vkinetic

Re: Increasing Piano Release Time

Post by vkinetic »

OK I've just discovered that by using my FS-5U pedal on the Hold input I can achieve an extended release time, certainly enough to create the sound I was going for. But if any one knows how I can do this without using the pedal that would be great

thanks

keith
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

What's the name of the presets you're using? Are they Supernatural pianos, or the PCM ones?
vkinetic

Post by vkinetic »

It's a Supernatural tone I think. The preset name is Rock Grand, but if I go to Tone Edit it's described as 'Concert Mono'.

Thanks

keith
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Ah ok, yeah the supernatural pianos don't have much control on the envelope.

The only other method you do is using one of the S1/S2 buttons (Above the mod wheel) and assigning them to Hold (CC64).

To do, simply hold shift down, then press S2 (For example) and then assign it to CC64. When the button is enabled it will be like holding your pedal down, not ideal as it could kill polyphony.
vkinetic

Post by vkinetic »

Thanks so much again Skyjumptoes. I'll try that later today.

Hope I can return the favour one day. If you need help with anything guitars or pedals contact me!

cheers

keith
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

Thank you very much Skijumptoes! This helped me out.