FA \ ABLETON LIVE DAW CONTROL

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Bwblaylock

FA \ ABLETON LIVE DAW CONTROL

Post by Bwblaylock »

I have a question i'm hopeful that someone can help with here...

For the purposes of this example, this is my gear setup:
* Roland FA-06
* Akai APC Mini
* Ableton Live 9

Firstly, I can get DAW control working with ableton no problem -- meaning controlling Ableton via the FA -- patches play, knobs etc work...

My goal, however is this: I want to be able to use the APC via Ableton to control Track volumes on an FA Studio Set. For Example, lets say i have a Studio Set with 8 patches and Ableton Live Channels set up to match Studio Set Parts on the Roland. I want to be able to use the APC to basically Fade-In \ Fade-Out \etc. any part within the studio set. I would think that would be fairly straight forward - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Anyone done anything similar or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
stevel

Re: FA \ ABLETON LIVE DAW CONTROL

Post by stevel »

If I understand you, I think what you need to do is set it up so that each slider on the Akai sends a CC 7 message on each channel 1-16 directly to the FA or is routed to it in the software.

you may be able to, in Ableton, filter the messages so they go "thru" Ableton without affecting Ableton - IOW, if you move Fader 1 on the Akai, it sends CC 7 - but normally Ableton would respond to that message and move the volume up or down for that track/channel. Instead, you set it to "thru" so Ableton doesn't respond but passes the message on to the FA which responds.

Part 1 is on MIDI Channel 1, so if you send CC7 messages on MIDI Channel 1, it will respond.

Part 2 is on MIDI Channel 2 and so on. So that should be the easy part - thus more of an Ableton question than an FA specific one. But hopefully someone here has experience with Ableton and can help you out.
Skijumptoes

Re: FA \ ABLETON LIVE DAW CONTROL

Post by Skijumptoes »

Have you tried using the external instrument plugin within Ableton? That gives you a fader/volume control for each midi track, which you can set to different channels - but i don't know if it sends out CC7 or not(?) - for that you may need a Max4Live script that someone has made?