External Midi Controller with FA

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Bwblaylock

External Midi Controller with FA

Post by Bwblaylock »

Anyone have any ideas on a small (mini or micro sized) Midi controller with sliders and Knobs that can be used with the FA as an external controller.

I'm assuming either the External controller will need to have a MIDI DIN out -OR- i'd have to use some sort of converter to run a USB Midi and get a DIN out (which would then go to the FA).

Any other suggestions from anyone?
stevel

Re: External Midi Controller with FA

Post by stevel »

I'd use the MIDI port only because that way you can use a controller without having to have a computer in the mix (for USB connections).

This could help narrow down your choices becuase many of the newer controllers - especially small ones, don't have a physical MIDI port.

You could of course use it with a DAW - besides having to have the DAW up and running you're burning up more USB ports on your computer unless you do want to get a separate MIDI interface (and if so, why not sink that money into a controller with the MIDI port!).

But of course if you're always working with the DAW it may not matter.

I have a Roland A-800 Pro which is about the same size as the FA so I can't telly suggest any mini or micro controllers. But I would recommend you check into something with software (check your OS) that works well.

For example, if you wanted to control organ drawbars with sliders, you can, but they're only SysEx messages - so if your controller software doesn't support anything but CC messages, you'd be out of luck there.