Assignable Knobs to Part Volumes?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tson

Assignable Knobs to Part Volumes?

Post by tson »

1) I cannot figure this out; can someone help? This seems like a basic function. I want to use assignable knobs to adjust (in real time) the volume levels of different parts, whether a Split, Dual layer or Studio Set. I want to also keep that assignment, even if selecting a different Tone or changing from Single to Dual to Studio Set. For example, in dual mode, I layer a piano (part 1) and strings (part 2). As I play, I want to raise or lower the volume levels of each part independently using assign knob 1 and 2. Can this be done?
2) Now, if I switch part 2 to a choir, I still want the assign knobs 1 and 2 to continue to operate the same way adjusting each part's volume level. Additionally, even if I change from dual layer to a studio set, I want the assign knobs to continue to control those parameters: volume level part 1, part 2, part 3, part 4. When I play live, the ability to easily control the balance and levels of multiple layers is critical and is a most basic function of "assign" knobs or sliders (which sadly the FA is lacking). If the FA parts' volume cannot be controlled in real time, it would be very disappointing.
If this cannot be done, I would consider an external controller with sliders that could be dedicated to this function. (Now I'm thinking I maybe should have just bought a used Phantom G8 for the same price as my FA-07.). Thanks for your help.
pianoman41

Re: Assignable Knobs to Part Volumes?

Post by pianoman41 »

Not sure if this will help, but I think this might be a workaround for what you are trying to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xvdrWUt5dM

Real-time volume adjustment is more towards the end. While I don't think you can assign volume for the first six parts to the six knobs, I think you can use keyboard switching (via the pads) to have the sound you want to adjust the volume on assigned to the correct knob on the fly.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Can't be done AFAIK.

6 knobs are good only for the current part on the keybaord (and maybe also group).

External controller would be the way to go - assign each slider to different part and basically use it like a mixer.
tson

Post by tson »

stevel wrote:Can't be done AFAIK.

6 knobs are good only for the current part on the keybaord (and maybe also group).

External controller would be the way to go - assign each slider to different part and basically use it like a mixer.
If true, that is VERY disappointing indeed! That is a most basic function for live mixing and live performing. So...

1) Can the Fantom G8 do live part mixing with its sliders? I may have to return the FA and get a used and WAY better board for the same money as an FA-07 and an external controller.

2) Do you have any suggestions on an "external controller" that is less than $200, and will control these part volumes EVEN if switching between Tones or Studio Sets? I didn't think I would have to fork out more money.
aboutwd

Post by aboutwd »

Has anyone found a controller that can control the volume of different parts (midi channels)?

Would/Could something like this USB controller work?
https://tinyurl.com/5cudb3dj

This thread is exactly what I'm up against right now. Just wondering how (or IF) you guys solved the issue.

Thanks.
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

I might not be getting the point here but here is one thing I'm able to do. I can control the volume of my Korg M1 from the FA knobs. I assing a part to the corresponding MIDI chanel of the M1 and make sure that this channel is set to the Master Keyboard in the Studio Set. Then I assing the knob I want to sue to adjust the volume to CC7. To block the sound for this part , I set the keyboard Range Lower to the highest key available which essentially shuts off the sound engine (and you don't lose polyphony!). Then I switch ON the volume (you can assing it a value 0-127) of the external keyboard menu in the SS, in my case the M1. In my case I only want to bring in the sould later in the song so it is set to 0 when I select the SS. It work really well but what is important is that the part is active. If you don't select or mute the part it won't work. So if you use the Keyboard Switch Group function you need ot make sure that this part is active.

Hope this helps...
Cheers
GP