Sample Pads & Rhythms are too loud

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tson

Sample Pads & Rhythms are too loud

Post by tson »

I have a new FA-07 and it seems the preset pads are unbelievably LOUD compared to regular tones. When I trigger a pad, it OVERPOWERS everything else I am playing. This is true for the rhythyms as well; way louder than the main tones being played. Can I adjust these two things (pad volume and rhythym volume) globally so they will be brought into balance without tedious effort of adjusting every single pad sample individually? Even assigning a knob to ALWAYS control pad volume or rhythm volume would help.

Thanks.
bennyseven

Re: Sample Pads & Rhythms are too loud

Post by bennyseven »

Hello ton,

for the samples it is not possible to adjust globally, afaik.
For the rhythms you kann assign a knob to EXPRESSION and route this to your drum part (usually part 10).
Also check the volume settings of your other parts and set these to a higher volume. If you've reached maximum level (127) the next step is to boost these parts by the build in EQ (each part has one of it).
pianoman41

Post by pianoman41 »

I just checked on mine and the same is true. Sample volume for pads is dramatically louder than keyboard tones. If you press Pad Utility and then select each sample, you can press Sample Edit and lower the volume for each (they default to 127). The changes are saved in real-time and do not have to be written to be retained through power-off.

I don't see a way to make a global volume change for all 16 pads at once, but this will work if you do each individually.
stevel

Post by stevel »

Pads are set to channel 16 by default. I believe you can go in and adjust the volume of Part 16 in the mixer and this will take care of it.

Otherwise, you can also assign the pads to the Sub output - the volume for it is fixed but independent of the master volume knob on the FA. The volume could then be adjusted by mixer after the FA.

You can also pick the drum kit for the rhythms - the Supernatural kits are stupid loud - typical studio compressed redlining kind of volume.

Try another kit, and again it's on part 10 so you could adjust the volume of that part.