Syncing Sample loops

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
R.U.Doin

Syncing Sample loops

Post by R.U.Doin »

I have searched the internet and this forum but I don’t get a sattisfying answer.

What I am trying to do is making some samples with the FA, and truncate the samples so that they are in sync with each other. I am sampling some tracks from the sequencer and want to use 4 samples simeltaneously and use the full power of the PCM tones besides the samples.

What I am trying to figger out is, is there a way to calculate the exact lenght of a sample when I am truncating a sample. What is the exact length between starting point en end point. The both points getting a number, and maybe the end point number minus the startingpoint number is an answer that is an amount of seconds.

I hope I made myself clear, English is not my firts language, so I notice I am struggling to find the right words for the question I have.

Rudo
stevel

Re: Syncing Sample loops

Post by stevel »

I'm not sure, but I would use a DAW instead so you can make them the same length then import them to the FA.

Doing it in the FA itself would probably be really time-consuming.

Hopefully someone else can answer with a way to do it internally.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

There's some great calculators here, that i use for hardware samplers:-
http://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php

You would be most interested in the "To find notes length in samples with tempo and sampling rate" calculator.

On that page simply set the sample rate (44.1k) and then enter the BPM, and if you have whole notes selected the sample size returned will relate perfectly to a whole bar. i.e. a bar @ 44.1k sample rate = 88200 samples.

Truncate the sample first so that you have the start point, then you can just enter the end point in samples.
R.U.Doin

Post by R.U.Doin »

Thanks for the replies.
This site is very helpfull. Seems that my eyes work very fine when chopping the sample with truncate
PugFace

Post by PugFace »

I think its possible to use re-trigger via midi to get the sample to repeat in sync. Then there is no need to truncate the sample. I have not tried it though. If the sample is set to non-loop. The only sample editing required then is to truncate the start which is much easy than truncating the end. The midi note length would be set to exactly the length of bars required for looping edited in Microscope.

Try this.
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

Here's how I do it.
Using Audacity the free wave editor.
Make your samples and note the Bpm (Beats per minute)
The Start of a sample is easy to see so Crop it at the start.
60 seconds is 1 minute so to at 120 beats per minute 0.5 seconds = 1 beat.
Ex. 60/120 = 0.5.
So if you need 4 beats crop at 2 seconds.

If you are at 140bpm. 60/140 = 1 beat is 0.428 seconds so 4 beats = 1.71428 seconds.

Hope that helps.
R.U.Doin

Post by R.U.Doin »

Thanks