Velocity switched guitar slides, etc.

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tson

Velocity switched guitar slides, etc.

Post by tson »

Can the FA be set up to do a velocity switched guitar articulation, like a slide? The Yamaha seems to do this quite nicely and makes the nylon guitar or spanish guitar a lot easier to play.
tson

Re: Velocity switched guitar slides, etc.

Post by tson »

So far, no answers, so I will answer myself. It appears that velocity switched articulations are NOT possible on the FA. Another oversight and downgrade to the FA. They really went for budget here.
stevel

Post by stevel »

There is at least 1 in EXP 03 - BlugrsSldSRX - it has a "slide into" at higher velocities.

It's not that they're not possible - the patch has to be designed that way.

Most patches have at least some change at higher velocities, although for many they could be relatively subtle (and non-existent for some). A few sounds have 3 different sounds over the velocity range.

You can actually build a Studio Set that emulates what a patch does much easier - for example, put two sounds on Parts 1 and 2 and set the velocity limits so that when you play the keys gently you get one sound and when you play harder you get both or the other one. Not hard to do this way.

Or you could build it into your patch.

But, if the articulation you're not looking for (such as a slide, or a harmonic, etc.) isn't included in a waveform building block, you won't be able to do it. I haven't gotten that deep into programming sounds yet so I'm not sure what wavs are included but since there's at least that one in EXP 03 there may be others hiding in the keyboard.

But I will say on the Fantom rack we have at school there are way more examples of this - it does seem like the FA programmers cared less about these types of sounds. They got the bark on an Electric Piano, but the guitars and basses don't seem to have them.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

There are some SN-A Guitars with such effects. Also, it is possible to program a new Tone on your own. There are some videos on youtube showing the SNA guitars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P52w5h1WJLk).
I did not use these sounds yet, but some sounds use SW 1 or/and 2 to apply effects on the Tone. See FA parameter list manual p. 119.