keyboard velocity curve

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
stuartH25

keyboard velocity curve

Post by stuartH25 »

Hope someone can help me. I use my FA-08 with velocity curve set to MEDIUM, with offset to zero (factory default). I sometimes change this setting to LIGHT, or reduce the "curve offset", when a friend wants to play. I have noticed that, when set to medium, the volume range is 0-127, but when set to light or lowered curve offset, the volume range starts quite high, instead of zero. The lower setting, the higher the starting velocity. How can I counteract this, or is it the way Roland have designed it?
nathbeadle

Re: keyboard velocity curve

Post by nathbeadle »

Hi stuartH25,

As far as I'm aware, this is by design and how the velocity changes are supposed to work. With LIGHT being the standard full range, changing it to LIGHT is meant for those that don't want to press as hard to play louder, so the curve is shortened to make this happen by starting at a higher value than zero.

A light touch of the keys on MEDIUM may produce a value of 10, where as a light touch of the keys on LIGHT would start at a higher value so that the resulting sound would be louder.

If you change the curve in the opposite direction (HEAVY, SUPER HEAVY) it should be very hard to hit the value of 127 as you would have to seriously pound the keys to reach a loud volume.

Hope that makes sense!
stuartH25

Re: keyboard velocity curve

Post by stuartH25 »

Thanks nathbeadle

Yes, this makes sense. I can visualize a graph of this. It's like moving the curve further up the chart, as opposed to actually altering the shape of the curve.