Velocity sensitive distortion?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TragicBeatzs

Velocity sensitive distortion?

Post by TragicBeatzs »

I don't know if this might sound retarded but I seen on the system 8 that there's a pluck that starts off when pressed lightly as a simple pluck but as pushed harder the character of the pluck changes and then it becomes a really sexy sounding pluck. I contacted roland about velocity sensitivity on the FA and how only the PCM engine could achieve something like that on the FA but didnt go into details how. I'm new into sound design and I was wondering if someone could maybe shed some light on this and how I could maybe go about it? I would love to be able to make multiple sounds like this, not just a pluck but would love to start off with a pluck and learn my way through it.

Here's the pluck in questions. Skip to 21:19 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKaZf3Ui2i0&t=1317s
Skijumptoes

Re: Velocity sensitive distortion?

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oops, just replied to your other post! :)

In all honesty, you're not going to get that from the FA without spending a lot of time and creating studio sets with differing velocity ranges. And even then i don't know if you're going to get there, for starters the System 8 delay sounds better than what you get in the FA in that demonstration to me.

I thought you meant like a House/Electro pluck initially. This is something else, great sound! :-)

As Roland support informed you, if you create a new PCM-S patch, you get 4 partials, and those 4 partials can be loaded up with different PCM waveforms that can be split via velocity. From that you would then have to find a way of setting up distortion and delay so that it reacts how you would like.

For me, i'd go studio set route and layer supernatural sounds (not pcm) to try and achieve this sound as you can split via velocity ranges within a studio set, there's plenty of options in the FA. If i get a chance i'll give it a go later and let you know, but right now super busy! :-(

Edit: Just had a little play, and you can get quite close really quick. Just pick a supernatural guitar, set it to mute, put Guitar Amp Sim as the MFX, change Chorus to a delay and then raise the delay level to suit. From there you can tweak.