Baba O'Riley Organ Patch

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
alargroove

Baba O'Riley Organ Patch

Post by alargroove »

Just getting started on this an already realized the challenge. I am not trying to sample, prerecord, or song play. I am trying to be as close to possible as playing live as I can be. I am trying to get as many suggestions on how any of you might do it.

Creating an accurate tone (i have tried and tweaked the organs but I have come up with nothing that i was happy with) I noticed if I add TFX-Tremolo Full depth in tempo it helps but still

Marimba Repeat- Ill take suggestions. I can set up basic arpeggio but it technically is not correct. Truly I would need to do 2 different arpeggios but i know the board is not capable to do that

I am even willing to pay for a patch if someone has created something professional equivalent (with or without the marimba repeat)
Lunar

Re: Baba O'Riley Organ Patch

Post by Lunar »

If you need to do two arpeggios using the same sound for Baba O'Riley, there is a workaround; record both arpeggios in the sequencer on separate tracks, then copy one of the tracks to the other (set as mix, not replace) then export the whole merged track to a user arpeggio slot. For the marimba repeat, a quick delay with a short feedback time might be worth exploring rather than an arp.

You also have the option of using the IFX alongside the MFX, so you could have an MFX delay, with an IFX panning tremolo.

I do play this song live with a band, but admit to cheating just a bit; I use Daniel Fischer's (Sweetwater Sound) patch set he created for the Roland Gaia, it has the whole Baba sequence programmed into the phrase sequencer on it, sounds pretty authentic as well. (Won't Get Fooled Again is in there as well, just in case)
alargroove

Post by alargroove »

I like the idea but I do not think the 2 arpeggios method that you described will work for this. One would be the pattern and the other would be an off beat to simulate a marimba repeat. That might help on something else though thanks.

I'll mess more with the delay instead of the arp to see how that works.

Already using tremolo in the ifx. I was using a little delay with the arp. So maybe ill just cancel out arp and rely more on the delay

How do go about getting Daniel's patch set. Is it a download or purchase somewhere? I might pull pick up a Gaia and pull off your method as well lol. Won't get fooled again I already wrote a patch for, surprisingly that one was actually not that hard to do

thanks
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Hi All ,

half an hour of tweaking , and " voila " .
-- 100% Roland FA-06 --
Need some fine tuning ........

I will share the patch settings if needed .....

regards

Willem H
Attachments
Baby o'Riley.mp3
(240.81 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Lunar

Post by Lunar »

alargroove wrote:How do go about getting Daniel's patch set. Is it a download or purchase somewhere? I might pull pick up a Gaia and pull off your method as well lol. Won't get fooled again I already wrote a patch for, surprisingly that one was actually not that hard to do

thanks
The patches for the Gaia are sold at Sweetwater.com here;
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SH01patches
check the video at 30 seconds in for the Baba patch - there's a bit too much reverb on it but that's easily fixed on the Gaia.
They come on a USB stick, cost 50 US Dollars. There's some good patches on there, it's surprising how good the Gaia can sound with some fine-tuning, there is a lot of unjustified hatred for that little synth in my opinion.

Willem H - That sounded great, nicely done!
alargroove

Post by alargroove »

Willem H wrote:Hi All ,

half an hour of tweaking , and " voila " .
-- 100% Roland FA-06 --
Need some fine tuning ........

if you like the patch I will help you within this topic .

regards

Willem H
Yes would love the help.
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Hi All / Alargroove ,

As requested my Baba O'Riley intro patch .
changes I made starting with init tone in txt file
Midi file for arpeggiator included .

Add salt and pepper to your own taste .

and .....Alargroove
I am even willing to pay for a patch if someone has created something professional equivalent (with or without the marimba repeat
A happy face is all I need

have fun

Willem H
Attachments
Baba O'Riley.rar
(1006 Bytes) Downloaded 260 times
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

Wow! Willem H.... doesn't post a lot, but when he does.... it's GOLD! Good job!! :)
alargroove

Post by alargroove »

Thanks William. This is a awesome sounding patch. Now let me figure out the nuances to playing it.
Willem H

Post by Willem H »

Hi all ,

my last post on this topic ......

xtra is the second program in txt file for playing the "machine gun " in the intro ....

have fun ..............

regards

Willem H
Attachments
Baba O'Riley.rar
(1.19 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Xanadu1209

Post by Xanadu1209 »

Hello all. I'm pretty new to the forum and this is only my second post.

I'm a new owner of a FA-07 and pretty new to synthesizers in general so I've been trying to wrap my head around this thing. I followed along with Willem H's method of getting this sound so I could learn something. I ended up taking it a little further and thought I would share my results.

The first thing I did was make a one bar loop of the main arpeggio pattern instead of using the actual arpeggiator. I then set the arpeggiator to play steady 32nd notes when a key is held down. (This is similar to how it was done in the studio). I did this by importing one bar of repeating 32nd notes from the sequencer. This becomes your "machine gun" part. Parts 1 & 2 of my studio set are set to the same tone. Part 1 has the arpeggiator and the keyboard switches turned off, part 2 has the arpeggiator and keyboard switched on.

So I just press play on the sequencer to get the main pattern looping (track 1), then play the "machine gun" part with my left hand (track 2). That leaves my right hand free to play the piano part (track 3). I have the keyboard split and the octaves shifted accordingly.

I also ended up removing the delay effects and slightly adjusting the synth parameters.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I think it sounds pretty good and is a viable way to play the song live. I attached a sample of me playing. Let me know what you think!
Attachments
Baba O'Riley.mp3
(851.02 KiB) Downloaded 228 times