Keyboard range FA-08 with external midi controller

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Toonpas

Keyboard range FA-08 with external midi controller

Post by Toonpas »

Hello,

I'm using besides the Roland FA-08 a Nord lead stage EX. This Nord can also be used as een kind of "midi controller" for my FA-08 sounds. This Nord stages is set on Midi channel 2.

I want to setup a studio set whereby I want to use the Nord lead as midi controller for the FA-08, but with different Keyvoard ranges. Eg. Lower part strings and upper part brass.

If I set these ranges for my Nord I can't get this split. Nord will "give" the sounds (via the FA-08) on all of the keys. With my previups Yamaha MOX8 I didn't had this problem.
Can somebody help me please?

Thanks,.

Ton
cecchino

Re: Keyboard range FA-08 with external midi controller

Post by cecchino »

If you can't set the split on the NSex (assigning two keyboard ranges to two different MIDI channels in the extern section) you won't be able to split sounds on the FA. The FA splitting function on the same MIDI channel is reserved to the local keyboard AFAIK. I'm sure you may do so on NS2 and NSex because they have two independent extern sections, but I don't know if this is possible on the NSex.
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Thanks, I think I can split my Nord Stage.
But it is a pity, because with my Yamaha Mox8 I didn’t had this issue.
I could freely make the splittings in my workstation.

Anyway thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,

Ton
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

If not SN-S and SN-A tones you can set keyzones on a tones basis (so only PCM TONES).
Then you can assign on one midi channel and they will repond to the lower and upper key setting.
Only drawback is you must save a new TONE in the USER memory.

Also, there is something new with OS 2.0, where you can assign master keyboard functions to PARTs. Not only for outgoing midi but also for incoming midi. I did trials awhile ago, and I am not shure if thee is a solution.
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Thanks, I think I have to work with a split on my Nord with different midi channels.
Candy

Post by Candy »

The settings for the key range are not done in the soundmodule of the FA, but in the Keyboard, same as normal, split, dual, transpose and Arpeggiator (Keyboard in german = Tastatur). When you use another keyboard-unit than the one from the FA, the range settings will not work!
C578DDB8-F079-4BE5-85DF-178C0C0186EB.jpeg
C578DDB8-F079-4BE5-85DF-178C0C0186EB.jpeg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Candy
Xanadu1209

Post by Xanadu1209 »

There's an option in the MIDI tab of system setup called "Remote Keyboard Switch." If you turn this on, the keyboard you have plugged into the FA will act exactly like the FA's built in keyboard. You'll have all your splits and layers. I'm not sure if this is helpful to what you're trying to accomplish but I just found this setting myself so I thought I'd share.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

Xanadu1209, thank you for posting this information about using the "Remote Keyboard Switch" option. Without this, I would be completely hosed, for the cases where I use my Roland PK5 MIDI footpedal controller to fire off multiple notes by pressing one "key" with my foot, while both my hands are busy playing the saxophone.