Effects in a studio set

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Toonpas

Effects in a studio set

Post by Toonpas »

Hi,

I have created a studio set with three parts/tones.
I want to have tones 1 and 2 with a main studio effect (e.g. flanger) and the third sound to have this main effect bypassed or off.
Is this possible?

Thanks,

Ton
RoDi

Re: Effects in a studio set

Post by RoDi »

You can switch the TFX (as common effect for all parts) to IFX mode, as additional insert effetc. Then you can select the routing of the single parts to IFX individually. All settings are on the Effect edit page of the studio set. The TFX/IFX switch is in the bottom right corner. Editing of IFX parameters is a little bit hidden in a second layer of soft buttons. It might be easily overseen the first time.

Regards,
RoDi
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Thanks RoDi, this helps.

Any idea how to switch on/off this IFX effect via S1 or S2 buttons on the left side of the board?
I can do this for the TFX effect, but not for the IFX effect.

Thanks,

Ton
stevel

Post by stevel »

Toonpas wrote:Thanks RoDi, this helps.

Any idea how to switch on/off this IFX effect via S1 or S2 buttons on the left side of the board?
I can do this for the TFX effect, but not for the IFX effect.

Thanks,

Ton
Because Roland were absolute imbeciles about this, you can't.

The only way to change things on the fly is to have Two of every sound you want to have an effect on in the Part.

For example, if you want Strings with Flange, and want to be able to turn that Flange on and off individually from other parts, you have to Save a patch of Strings with MFX, and another without (one may be a preset, but the other will have to be saved).

Then you put both patches into your SS and use the KBD Group switches (on the pads) to toggle between the two sounds.

If you want flange on a second sound, but not on a 3rd as you describe, you'd be better off to put the same flange effect on the 2nd sound (and again, if you want to turn it on and off, you'll need two saved versions of the sound) as an MFX with the exact same settings (if that's what you want).

Then the 3rd sound can be plain.

IOW, TFX is only good for putting an effect on ALL of the parts in a SS. If you want to do individual effects, it's useless.

And Roland did the most ignorant thing possible by not making the MFX assignable to S1/S2.

If you have external controllers or DAW or something, you could turn the effects on and off with System Exclusive messages. It's kind of a pain in the butt to do it that way but that's the only way to do it besides either manually pushing the button while on the effects screen, or making two versions of the sound and toggling between them.
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

First a quick correction of my last statement: It is the master compressor, which is changed to an insert effect with IFX-mode, not the TFX.

Unfortunatly the IFX is blind to MIDI controle messages. MIDI sysex might work, but is not available out of the box inside the FA. I use this IFX-routing to run all organ sounds through a single 'VK Rotary' effect, which is superior to the MFX rotaries. My workaround is to open the IFX-edit screen and switch the speed (fast/slow) directly on that screen. Same can be done with IFX-switch on/off on the edit screen. Not convenient, but works.

Regards,
RoDi
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Thanks RoDi for your help.
Maybe Roland will scan our posts and fix it with the next update.
lipi

Post by lipi »

stevel wrote: IOW, TFX is only good for putting an effect on ALL of the parts in a SS. If you want to do individual effects, it's useless.
By default, yes...
But there is a little trick what I find after thinking about reading here...
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54640
Ok, it's not perfect, because you lost your other SUB OUT application, and the TFX effects are not editable in detail then the MFX's... But you can select what tracks are routed into the TFX.
As RoDi said: Unfortunatly the IFX is blind to MIDI controle messages. MIDI sysex might work.
If you use the sequencer, you can record the necessary sysex messages... I know that; in a live gig the sequencer not really calculable thing...