One sustain pedal with two synths

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Toonpas

One sustain pedal with two synths

Post by Toonpas »

Hi,

I have the Roland FA-08 connected with my Nord lead Stage EX (Roland Midi channel 1 en Nord is set on midi channel 14).
In my previous setup with Yamaha Mox8 I could use one sustain pedal (which I´ve inserted in the Nord), for the two synths.
Now it is not possible any more.

When I insert the pedal in the Roland and press this sustain pedal, I see the midi indicator flashing on the Nord. So I think there is a midi signal transmitted. It works when I select a part which is on midi channel 14, and then only with the sound of the Nord, not with the Roland sounds which are set on channel 14.

I hope I've explained it a bit clearly.

If it doesn't work I have to use 2 sustain pedals, or does anybody has a other advice?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regard,

Ton
Andy Keys

Re: One sustain pedal with two synths

Post by Andy Keys »

Have a look at this thread. Rusty managed to get one pedal to sustain 2 synths using a splitter. I've got one at home, but I've still not tried it.
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

It is no problem to pass any controler of the FA to an external instrument. However the FA is always assigning the MIDI channel of the currently active part.

I have attached an XP-30 to the MIDI outputs of the FA. The XP is set to channel 15. When I play the FA on part 15 I can perfectly layer both sounds (FA and XP). All controllers like expression, modulation and hold are recognised by both instruments. If you want to layer additional parts of the FA enable the keyboard switch of all respective parts. Also sending the arpeggiator to the external instruments works fine.

For using the external instrument only, I stored a user tone with tone edit/common/tone level set to zero. Don't turn down the level knob when you are on the part e.g.14 to mute the FA sound, because this will also mute the external instrument.

Make shure that part view/masterkeyboard/PTX is switched on for the FA part.

Regards,
RoDi
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Thanks Andy,

I bought a splitter (€ 0,75). Inserted this in the FA and with a jack cable connected this splitter (in my case) in my Nord.

It works!!!!

Regards,

Ton

Andy Keys wrote:Have a look at this thread. Rusty managed to get one pedal to sustain 2 synths using a splitter. I've got one at home, but I've still not tried it.
Toonpas

Post by Toonpas »

Hi Rodi,

Thanks for your reaction. See my answer on Andy's reply.
With a € 0,75 splitter it works as well!

Regards,

Ton

RoDi wrote:It is no problem to pass any controler of the FA to an external instrument. However the FA is always assigning the MIDI channel of the currently active part.

I have attached an XP-30 to the MIDI outputs of the FA. The XP is set to channel 15. When I play the FA on part 15 I can perfectly layer both sounds (FA and XP). All controllers like expression, modulation and hold are recognised by both instruments. If you want to layer additional parts of the FA enable the keyboard switch of all respective parts. Also sending the arpeggiator to the external instruments works fine.

For using the external instrument only, I stored a user tone with tone edit/common/tone level set to zero. Don't turn down the level knob when you are on the part e.g.14 to mute the FA sound, because this will also mute the external instrument.

Make shure that part view/masterkeyboard/PTX is switched on for the FA part.

Regards,
RoDi
Andy Keys

Post by Andy Keys »

I really am going to have to try this.
Glad it worked :)
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

I hesitate on the "as well" part. From electrical engineer perspective this is not the way I would recommend, although it might work with FA and North. You are connecting electrically two points of the instruments, which are constructed to run only into the hold pedal/controllers, which are typically passive switches or potentiometers. You might shortcut some DC voltages and connect the ground levels of the instruments. However you own some good gear, which is robust enough to tolerate that.

Keep your fingers crossed,
RoDi
NealXu

Post by NealXu »

Hi...If you ever want to sustain just one of your two boards, you'll have to reach over and unplug the cable from the board you don't want to sustain.This is a headache just waiting to happen.
If you want to go down that path, it's easy enough. Grab a splitter adaptor - single 1/4" MONO Female to dual 1/4" MONO Male, and plug the jack from the pedal into the adaptor, and the two male ends into the sustain pedal inputs on your keyboard.