Using A Midi Foot Controller with FA Series

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TyPie

Using A Midi Foot Controller with FA Series

Post by TyPie »

New owner of a FA-07 here.
Question for those that may have knowledge or experience using a midi foot controller with a workstation or keyboard.

I have an ART X-15 Ultrafoot Midi Foot Controller (circa 2000?) here that I used for tons of presets in a rack guitar effects box back when, and it is in new, pristine, mint condition and built like a tank. (Many buttons and 2 built-in expression pedals which was designed for / already set up for the effects unit.)
Yeah, I KNOW I can read the manuals, but I'm thinking that it may be ideal for this board, just not sure of the most effective way to set it up. As an older unit, I'm wondering if will be suitable. I realize I can set up the pedals for continuous-controlled parameters like volume, pitch, degree of effect, etc.

This is an old ad for the controller I found: https://reverb.com/item/6140219-art-x-1 ... controller
Nice purples, no?

Not a pro keyboard player, but functional, a songwriter / guitarist looking to put ideas to 'tape', so-to-speak. Any ideas or suggestions for best use with this board? Thanks in advance.....
TyPie

Re: Using A Midi Foot Controller with FA Series

Post by TyPie »

No one?
Anyone using a midi foot controller of any kind that might be able to offer configuration /setup suggestions?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Basically, you would be looking at connecting it from Foot controller midi out to the FA midi in, and then setting up the hardware controls so based on the FA's midi implementation/midi cc table. i.e. presuming that all those controls on the foot pedal can be custom CC messages which you can set.

Also, If it supports SysEx even better - as some of the FA's advanced parameters can only be controlled via SysEx and not CC.

What are you specifically looking to control? Or is this just a general query?
TyPie

Post by TyPie »

Basically, you would be looking at connecting it from Foot controller midi out to the FA midi in, and then setting up the hardware controls so based on the FA's midi implementation/midi cc table. i.e. presuming that all those controls on the foot pedal can be custom CC messages which you can set.

Also, If it supports SysEx even better - as some of the FA's advanced parameters can only be controlled via SysEx and not CC.

What are you specifically looking to control? Or is this just a general query?
Thanks for the reply, Ski.
Really just a general query for suggestions for various setups. I realize that optimum setup also depends on what the main use will be, performance, recording, or controlling a DAW.
The controller does support SysEx.

I will be digging into both manuals...